Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
(10-16-2017, 04:17 PM)creative Wrote: I drove through 4 lights on River Road during the blackout and all were being treated as 4 way stops when I went through.

Maybe River Rd drivers had more patience.  I think with the Ottawa St construction (that already delays traffic) peoples patience to "wait" at the blank lights wasn't there.  I drove thru all Ottawa/River, Ottawa/Franklin and Ottawa/NB Expressway ramp intersections 3 times that afternoon, and saw near misses each time at at least one of the above intersections.

Coke

(EDIT: Yes Sammy, unfortunately tests would not catch this)

Southbound 85 off-ramp at Edna is open again (noticed this yesterday when I was back in town). Used it twice today and my world is now a better place. So nice after the few months of alternate routes. The concrete retaining wall doesn't look too bad either.
What's the outlook on the completion of the King St E construction?
...and while we're talking completion timelines, what about Krug? I feel like it's been under construction since Kitchener was Berlin.
Also Ottawa Street from River to the highway! Walked the route today, nobody in sight. Guess nobody works in drizzle anymore, lol
(10-30-2017, 10:07 PM)Canard Wrote: ...and while we're talking completion timelines, what about Krug?  I feel like it's been under construction since Kitchener was Berlin.

According to CoK it'll be open on the 21st of this month. I imagine the sidewalks are done and open, the last time I rode through there was the end of August... it was a weekend but there were no barriers on the sidewalks.
Not sure when exactly it happened, but all four lanes of Weber St on the overpass between Parkside and Albert were open today.

Sadly the slap-on safety fences to keep pedestrians from reaching out and touching the Ion wiring were still there, I was hoping they'd get replaced with something more attractive during this rework.  :-(

(10-30-2017, 09:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote: What's the outlook on the completion of the King St E construction?

When I drove by last week, the section closer to downtown was complete and new sidewalks were all in, and the side just off the highway  had tamped ground and looked like it was ready for curbs.
(10-30-2017, 11:46 PM)Square Wrote: Also Ottawa Street from River to the highway!  Walked the route today, nobody in sight.  Guess nobody works in drizzle anymore, lol

Between last weekend and this weekend, it had looked as though the part from Franklin to River had finalized paving of the base layer, and the part from Franklin  to 7 had been cleared of random gravel piles and rolled in preparation for paving.  Maybe there will be more done if/when I go by next weekend.
(10-31-2017, 11:45 AM)KevinT Wrote: Not sure when exactly it happened, but all four lanes of Weber St on the overpass between Parkside and Albert were open today.

Sadly the slap-on safety fences to keep pedestrians from reaching out and touching the Ion wiring were still there, I was hoping they'd get replaced with something more attractive during this rework.  :-(

It was open for Monday morning. Finally that traffic nightmare can come to an end now that we have four lanes again!
Speaking of nightmares, that 1.5 day closure of Columbia/Lexington @ Marsland created some chaos.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(10-31-2017, 07:42 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Speaking of nightmares, that 1.5 day closure of Columbia/Lexington @ Dearborn created some chaos.

It wouldn't have been nearly as bad as it is if drivers didn't continually drive through the road closed sign then block our driveway while turning around.
The ramp from 401 WB to 8 NB (WB?? Whatever - exit 278 if you're on 401 headed west toward London) has been slightly reconfigured - annoyingly so. I think it's so crews can work on the pavement on the left lanes, so everything's been shifted a little to the right. That makes for a really awkward transition in the curve (loose radius > tight radius > loose radius).

It's not quite as bad as the little jog in 401 heading EB just after you come down the ramp off of 8 (which I'm amazed nobody has died at, yet - since I see trucks every morning drifting half a lane out of position in it), but I fully expect someone's going to roll their vehicle here in the next week.

going on the 401 wb under 24 the lane markers are not very visible, and pretty much just as visible is the black paint used to paint over 2 other lane markers, you can see something there that looks like lane markers. In twilight or at night I could only imagine how easy it is to distinguish which lanes are legit.
(10-31-2017, 08:17 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 07:42 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Speaking of nightmares, that 1.5 day closure of Columbia/Lexington @ Dearborn created some chaos.

It wouldn't have been nearly as bad as it is if drivers didn't continually drive through the road closed sign then block our driveway while turning around.

I mistyped. I meant Marsland not Dearborn. And yes, there was all kinds of illogical and illegal driving going on.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »