Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
(10-01-2017, 06:56 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Why the the cement so much lower than the top of the curbs? Can't quite figure out what's going on.

Could it be that the concrete is poured first, then paved over top of to build up the layer flush with the curb? That would give a really sturdy base, but then have the nice smooth paved surface over top to ride on.

(09-23-2017, 07:53 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 03:13 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: ...

I don’t think I’ve heard the term “Pittsburgh Left”. Is that turning left on a new green before oncoming straight-through traffic has a chance to get going?

As to the questions about which traffic is controlled by the pedestrian crossing, imagine for a moment that the crossing was moved back from the intersection, maybe 50m although it doesn’t matter exactly how far as long as it is far enough that it is clear that the pedestrian crossing is not related to the intersection at all. Then it would be absolutely clear that you can’t go through the red to make a right turn, and it would be equally clear that a left turn during the red signal would be perfectly legal, in the same way that it is legal to go when the stoplight at the next intersection is red — signals don’t control everyone who can see them, only people who are coming up close to them.

And if, on the other hand, the intersection itself was fully controlled, it would be clear, in the absence of signage to the contrary, that the right turn on red would be permitted and the left turn forbidden.

But instead we have what looks like an independent pedestrian crossing, but so close to the intersection that it seems that intersection signal rules might apply.

Those intersections can be rather confusing.  Basically, I always take them as "don't cross the crosswalk", but things again, would be safer and clearer if we didn't have right on red.

Also, jumping the left before straight traffic is a highly illegal maneuver (equivalent in penalty to 50k over the limit/stunt driving charge), and also very dangerous, because pedestrians may be crossing.  And the West/Strange/Victoria intersection, among its various other problems, is notorious for drivers pulling this crap, and as a frequent pedestrian at this intersection, I watch out for drivers who do this.

The police really should stake out Victoria and West/Strange. Everyone jumps the left turn on green it seems. And it's illegal.
(10-01-2017, 07:51 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Why the the cement so much lower than the top of the curbs? Can't quite figure out what's going on.

I've seen this before - on King Street Downtown. Paving stones were (are!) arranged within the recessed area.
Traffic on Ottawa Street between Franklin and River is now on the ... south ... (newly repaved) side. No paving west of Franklin yet.

I feel a bit nervous driving between the Expressway and Franklin. The drop behind the pylons is at least 2' in some spaces and the lane seems to be too narrow for comfort.
(10-01-2017, 09:45 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(10-01-2017, 07:51 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Why the the cement so much lower than the top of the curbs? Can't quite figure out what's going on.

I've seen this before - on King Street Downtown. Paving stones were (are!) arranged within the recessed area.

This would be great!  Here's hoping that's what it is.
We were talking the other week about the ridiculous proposal for the Weber bridge over the Spur Line (thankfully not yet a done deal). I work in the area and have been driving a fair bit lately for work the last few weeks- the bridge has been reduced to one lane each direction, and I note that, at all times of the day, traffic is free flowing even with that restriction.

Others have noted that the traffic volumes just do not justify that many car lanes, but often people don't grasp that and think there's something special about a given road that will mean, if narrowed, it will experience serious backups or delays. It's hard to argue that for Weber: it's one lane each direction now, and if you drive there at 8:00 in the morning, noon, 5:00 in the afternoon, whenever, you'll find traffic moving along in excess of the speed limit.
MidTowner, can you please share that perspective with Regional Council?

(10-03-2017, 07:26 AM)MidTowner Wrote: We were talking the other week about the ridiculous proposal for the Weber bridge over the Spur Line (thankfully not yet a done deal). I work in the area and have been driving a fair bit lately for work the last few weeks- the bridge has been reduced to one lane each direction, and I note that, at all times of the day, traffic is free flowing even with that restriction.

Others have noted that the traffic volumes just do not justify that many car lanes, but often people don't grasp that and think there's something special about a given road that will mean, if narrowed, it will experience serious backups or delays. It's hard to argue that for Weber: it's one lane each direction now, and if you drive there at 8:00 in the morning, noon, 5:00 in the afternoon, whenever, you'll find traffic moving along in excess of the speed limit.

I can second this comment, I actually work on Dutton and morning / evening rush hour has never been an issue. The largest issue was back when Bearinger was closed for long periods during ION construction and traffic along Weber increased significantly.
(10-03-2017, 09:41 AM)JCnb Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 07:26 AM)MidTowner Wrote: We were talking the other week about the ridiculous proposal for the Weber bridge over the Spur Line (thankfully not yet a done deal). I work in the area and have been driving a fair bit lately for work the last few weeks- the bridge has been reduced to one lane each direction, and I note that, at all times of the day, traffic is free flowing even with that restriction.

I can second this comment, I actually work on Dutton and morning / evening rush hour has never been an issue. The largest issue was back when Bearinger was closed for long periods during ION construction and traffic along Weber increased significantly.

Definitely worth sharing this with council.  Most councillors disagree.
If you put the bridge on a road diet, you really should do the same for the surrounding bits of Weber as well, otherwise you create a bottleneck with lanes disappearing and reappearing around the bridget.
(10-03-2017, 11:08 AM)tomh009 Wrote: If you put the bridge on a road diet, you really should do the same for the surrounding bits of Weber as well, otherwise you create a bottleneck with lanes disappearing and reappearing around the bridget.

So how much?  The original road diet plan had lane reductions between Parkside and Albert, both signalized intersections, which I believe is the same extent of the current reduction.
Here's the current state of the deconstruction of the Fountain St. Bridge.

One year down, one to go.

It's amazing how they are just nibbling this apart piece by piece. They have a big L-shaped bucket-box thing that they hang over the side, then pick away at it piece by piece, collecting the chunks as they come off.

All this because we couldn't possibly have a single particle of concrete touch the water below!

...although, every time I go by, the ducks are really happy down below. So, I guess it's a good thing. Big Grin
Ha! I just rode by there today and took some pictures to post... ah well. I guess by using steel girders the next time they tear down the bridge it will be a lot easier to remove and replace the spans.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »