Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
(09-13-2017, 09:55 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Really it would be better if it switched between N and S at the K-W border, but a renumbering of every address on the street would be needed, and it would make Kitchener even weirder, with N-S roads crossing over King S. at a right-angle intersection, and E-W roads running parallel to it.

If we're going to rename things, then King Street East should be renamed to Weber Street East past the Highway 8 onramp. And that silly little stub of King Street East behind there should be named something else (King's Court or something). Then King Street would end at the expressway.

Thanks robdrimmie, I appreciate the insights!
(09-13-2017, 07:40 AM)Canard Wrote: Has anyone been through Fountain St. South, between Shantz Hill Road and King St. West* recently?

Is it passable by bikes and pedestrians?

Answering my own question: yes! Things are shaping up here. The "sidewalk" on the South side of Fountain is very wide - so, I assume it's designated a MUT.

Traffic down Shantz Hill is now routed onto the new, Western alignment, with a very dramatic chicane!
The on-ramp for Northbound 85 is open at Bruce street today!
Fantastic news! Makes my life a whole lot easier!
Yesterday, within the span of six minutes, I witnessed eight vehicles making illegal left turns along Caroline Street. And I see the same thing every time I go there. I don't think the "No Left Turn" signs are working.
Why on earth are they not clearly identified with prominent "new" signage?

It might help if the left turn lane on Caroline at Erb had the words "BUS ONLY" painted in addition to the diamonds that are there. But I'm sure that's against some standard or another.
I watched 5 in a row turn left on Erb/Caroline. Unreal...
Tongue 
(09-20-2017, 09:32 AM)timc Wrote: Yesterday, within the span of six minutes, I witnessed eight vehicles making illegal left turns along Caroline Street. And I see the same thing every time I go there. I don't think the "No Left Turn" signs are working.

Whenever I'm stuck behind someone waiting to make an illegal left I honk at them.  It doesn't help and I'm sure they just assume that I'm a boor, but in my mind I hope that it would make them take stock, look at the signage, and realize their mistake.   Tongue
Definitely an appropriate honking situation.
Discussion of the Ottawa/Homer Watson roundabouts has been moved to the thread for that project:
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...hp?tid=339

That thread has been here the whole time!
(09-20-2017, 10:30 AM)timc Wrote: It might help if the left turn lane on Caroline at Erb had the words "BUS ONLY" painted in addition to the diamonds that are there. But I'm sure that's against some standard or another.

If it is against standard, the bus-only turn lane at Sportsworld is also in violation. I think it could be done.

But really the signal should not show a green at all unless requested to do so by a bus, and should be a transit-only signal (so not actually green). The general traffic signals should just be right-arrows.

Also, as somebody else suggested, there should be “NEW” signs at all those turn restrictions onto and off of Caroline. I’m not sure how much it would help, but it sure wouldn’t hurt.

Ah, yes, I see that it says "BUS LANE" on Sportsworld Drive.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4087995,-...6656?hl=en
(09-20-2017, 01:41 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 10:30 AM)timc Wrote: It might help if the left turn lane on Caroline at Erb had the words "BUS ONLY" painted in addition to the diamonds that are there. But I'm sure that's against some standard or another.

If it is against standard, the bus-only turn lane at Sportsworld is also in violation. I think it could be done.

But really the signal should not show a green at all unless requested to do so by a bus, and should be a transit-only signal (so not actually green). The general traffic signals should just be right-arrows.

Also, as somebody else suggested, there should be “NEW” signs at all those turn restrictions onto and off of Caroline. I’m not sure how much it would help, but it sure wouldn’t hurt.

All good ideas.  These should be but in place throughout the ION Corridor where these road restrictions have been made
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »