Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
Yeah, but then you miss the ducks Sad That's my favourite part of that trail; I call it Bonus Ducks.

(04-25-2017, 09:15 PM)Canard Wrote: Yeah, but then you miss the ducks Sad  That's my favourite part of that trail; I call it Bonus Ducks.

Ya that is a nice stretch of trail along there, I do take it when traffic is light.
(04-25-2017, 04:12 PM)Canard Wrote: Waitwaitwait. Weber is getting a crossing at the Laurel Trail?!?!?!?!?

(Probably should reserve this excitement for the "Trails" thread, but this sounds too good to be true!)

Edit : oh, wait. You said "island." Sigh

I had a discussion with my other half here this weekend past and we were trying to figure out how to make the crossing safer. We just walked our bikes down to Lincoln (past the crash scene Sad) and crossed there. Adding a crosswalk light probably isn't going to happen given the already high number of lights in the area.

When is the Pepler light moving?

Even an island is a huge improvement. Due to the traffic lights in the area, I suspect that each direction individually has significant gaps in the traffic reasonably often, but it can take a long time to have a gap in both directions at the same time. Is it confirmed the Peppler light is moving? That would certainly be another huge improvement.
The islands at University (Laurel/Hillside Trails) and Union (Iron Horse Trail) do really help.
(04-26-2017, 09:06 AM)plam Wrote: The islands at University (Laurel/Hillside Trails) and Union (Iron Horse Trail) do really help.

Islands are one of the most flexible and effective tools that planners have for crossings.  Crossovers have so many restrictions about their location, that they "cannot" be used in most places where they would be useful.  And signals cause a significant delay for all users.  Best of bad situation.
The Laurel Trail crossing was discussed in the Trails thread back in December:

Here's a post with some plans:
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...9#pid30219
(04-25-2017, 07:45 PM)Canard Wrote: Signs went up recently in Cambridge; Speedsville Road is closed at some point between Eagle and Maple Grove.  Does anyone know exactly where, and when, and how closed this closure is?  ie, is it just closed to cars, but bikes could get through?  Or is it something super-major?  And how long will it last?  Thanks in advance.

Guess it is more than just paving, signs say 6-8 weeks. Would have been nice if any of the work on this side of town was a little bit more coordinated so everything isn't closed or reduced.

(04-28-2017, 07:28 PM)darts Wrote:
(04-25-2017, 07:45 PM)Canard Wrote: Signs went up recently in Cambridge; Speedsville Road is closed at some point between Eagle and Maple Grove.  Does anyone know exactly where, and when, and how closed this closure is?  ie, is it just closed to cars, but bikes could get through?  Or is it something super-major?  And how long will it last?  Thanks in advance.

Guess it is more than just paving, signs say 6-8 weeks. Would have been nice if any of the work on this side of town was a little bit more coordinated so everything isn't closed or reduced.

This is likely for servicing and utility work related to the new massive Mattamy subdivision going on the Hunt Club lands behind Arriscraft.
Between this, King, the Fountain Street bridge, and the 401 widening, I feel like they need to make an adjustment to the city signs:

"Welcome to Cambridge. Sorry, We're Closed!"
Reading Mattamy's website from the link above almost makes it sound like it was written by someone who has never been to the area.

"An affordable, family-friendly community near downtown Hespeler. Enjoy the beautiful benefits of small town living among the rural landscape of Southern Ontario. Tucked next to a woodlot, River Mill maintains a cozy, casual ambience and still provides quick access to towns of Cambridge and Hespeler via Highways 401 or 24. Multiple home styles, floor plans, and Mattamy Design Studio options will ensure a home that suits your style of comfortable, elegant living."
(04-29-2017, 07:25 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Reading Mattamy's website from the link above almost makes it sound like it was written by someone who has never been to the area.

"An affordable, family-friendly community near downtown Hespeler. Enjoy the beautiful benefits of small town living among the rural landscape of Southern Ontario. Tucked next to a woodlot, River Mill maintains a cozy, casual ambience and still provides quick access to towns of Cambridge and Hespeler via Highways 401 or 24. Multiple home styles, floor plans, and Mattamy Design Studio options will ensure a home that suits your style of comfortable, elegant living."

Next to a woodlot which will be the site of Phase 2  Tongue
(04-28-2017, 10:41 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Between this, King, the Fountain Street bridge, and the 401 widening, I feel like they need to make an adjustment to the city signs:

"Welcome to Cambridge. Sorry, We're Closed!"

I work on the East side of Cambridge and to get home to Kitchener on Tuesday I was taking backroads instead of 401/8, and remembered Speedsville was closed. I kept going along Eagle - that was a mistake... it took me over 60 minutes to drive my 20 km commute.
And it wasn't much better before the construction started.

And now the flip side to Greyound starting its Pearson service: "Greyhound reduces Kitchener-Toronto service as riders opt for GO"
(05-02-2017, 11:39 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: And now the flip side to Greyound starting its Pearson service: "Greyhound reduces Kitchener-Toronto service as riders opt for GO"

That's from 2013, though...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »