Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
I think they might be to prevent broken glass from falling

(01-03-2016, 09:42 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Probably a lot easier too. Plastic is way lighter than a slab of concrete.

The panels in the expressway noise barrier walls are not concrete. They are actually a polymer material that absorbs and dampens the traffic noise.
Noticed new traffic signal poles being installed at the Crowsfoot intersection (Sawmill Road, Crowsfoot Road and Katherine Street) just outside of Conestogo earlier this week. 

Does anyone know if the region is installing signals at this unique intersection, or just upgrading the existing flashing beacons?
I'm not well-informed of how the city council process for approving road construction works, but it was around this time last year that a new round of road construction was approved. The list of projects is available here. I'm assuming this is a yearly thing that's done, but I'm not entirely sure, as it wasn't until last spring that I really took up an interest in the city infrastructure.

Does anyone know when we can expect an updated list for this year? New road construction projects to be undertaken? Anyone have any idea of what might be on it? I have no idea if it's an all at once thing, or an accumulation thing, of all the projects that are approved throughout the year. Like I said, I'm unfamiliar with how the process works!
(02-26-2016, 01:45 PM)The85 Wrote: Noticed new traffic signal poles being installed at the Crowsfoot intersection (Sawmill Road, Crowsfoot Road and Katherine Street) just outside of Conestogo earlier this week. 

Does anyone know if the region is installing signals at this unique intersection, or just upgrading the existing flashing beacons?

That intersection is a nightmare! I only had the pleasure of using it once on my way back from Elora. I don't know who of the two stop signs has priority there (or is it just first come first serve?). I was there during the home commute and I can't imagine doing that intersection daily. It would be nice to have signals.
(02-26-2016, 03:00 PM)Andy Wrote:
(02-26-2016, 01:45 PM)The85 Wrote: Noticed new traffic signal poles being installed at the Crowsfoot intersection (Sawmill Road, Crowsfoot Road and Katherine Street) just outside of Conestogo earlier this week. 

That intersection is a nightmare! I only had the pleasure of using it once on my way back from Elora. I don't know who of the two stop signs has priority there (or is it just first come first serve?). I was there during the home commute and I can't imagine doing that intersection daily. It would be nice to have signals.

I used to drive through there semi-regularly (to take the back road route north of Guelph, through Ariss into Erin).  An odd intersection with not great visibility.  But usually it was no problem as the traffic levels (on weekends at least) were quite light.
All of those roads are very popular with cyclists. In particular, a very popular cycling route see cyclists turning left onto Crowsfoot from Sawmill Rd, and then turning left onto Sawmill from Katherine.

(02-26-2016, 02:51 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I'm not well-informed of how the city council process for approving road construction works, but it was around this time last year that a new round of road construction was approved. The list of projects is available here. I'm assuming this is a yearly thing that's done, but I'm not entirely sure, as it wasn't until last spring that I really took up an interest in the city infrastructure.

Does anyone know when we can expect an updated list for this year? New road construction projects to be undertaken? Anyone have any idea of what might be on it? I have no idea if it's an all at once thing, or an accumulation thing, of all the projects that are approved throughout the year. Like I said, I'm unfamiliar with how the process works!

My understanding is that regional staff come up with a list of capital projects and prioritize them in a rolling 10-yr window and that it is that 10-yr capital forecast that gets approved with the budget each year. Last year it was late being approved because of the whole budget process was delayed with the late municipal elections of 2014. This year's 2016-2025 capital forecast of projects was approved with the budget on January 13, 2016.

The list is actually under the current projects:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/gettin...ojects.asp
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Here's a question that may or may not fit here: who do I complain to to get a red light camera installed at Victoria / Hazelglen? Moved to that neighbourhood 3 months ago, and am frustrated with the amount of people on Victoria who continually run that light. And I don't mean just barely missing the yellow. I mean people from Hazelglen in the middle of the intersection sometimes even some from Hazelglen have already made it through the intersection, and you'll get 1 or 2, sometimes even 3 cars flying through the red light, narrowly missing people. I've almost been T-boned 4 times since moving there. It's ridiculous, and not at all an infrequent thing.
It's a regional road, so your best bet is to contact the region:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/gettin.../roads.asp
(03-26-2016, 02:30 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Here's a question that may or may not fit here: who do I complain to to get a red light camera installed at Victoria / Hazelglen? Moved to that neighbourhood 3 months ago, and am frustrated with the amount of people on Victoria who continually run that light. And I don't mean just barely missing the yellow. I mean people from Hazelglen in the middle of the intersection sometimes even some from Hazelglen have already made it through the intersection, and you'll get 1 or 2, sometimes even 3 cars flying through the red light, narrowly missing people. I've almost been T-boned 4 times since moving there. It's ridiculous, and not at all an infrequent thing.

I doubt that intersection would warrant a red light camera, but if you contacted Waterloo Regional Police Traffic unit, you could complain to them.  The have a program where they target locations from citizen complaints.

Coke
(03-26-2016, 02:30 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Here's a question that may or may not fit here: who do I complain to to get a red light camera installed at Victoria / Hazelglen? Moved to that neighbourhood 3 months ago, and am frustrated with the amount of people on Victoria who continually run that light. And I don't mean just barely missing the yellow. I mean people from Hazelglen in the middle of the intersection sometimes even some from Hazelglen have already made it through the intersection, and you'll get 1 or 2, sometimes even 3 cars flying through the red light, narrowly missing people. I've almost been T-boned 4 times since moving there. It's ridiculous, and not at all an infrequent thing.

All traffic signals, regardless of whether they are on a Regional or City road are the responsibility of the Region, so a red light camera is within the Region's jurisdiction.
I'm not trying to be antagonistic but should you really be calling to demand a red light camera? You don't know that that's the optimal solution. Maybe you should just complain about all the red light runners and let the city management come up with their own solution? A cop there every morning for a few days is probably enough to break habits.

Amazing news!  

Movement on a possible Morriston bypass of highway 6

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6410...-to-hwy-4/
They say it would rejoin Highway 6 between Maddaugh Rd and Campbellville Rd, which is where the 4 lane section begins. That would make the bypass about 6km long.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »