Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
(08-20-2019, 02:56 PM)Spokes Wrote: I thought roll curbs were out moving forward?

No, the regional engineers are stuck on those for some unknown reason.

They'd rather spend more money ALSO putting in bollards....

I have no idea why.

My guess is that when they decide it's a failed experiment, it will make conversion to parking easier.
(08-20-2019, 04:24 PM)jamincan Wrote: My guess is that when they decide it's a failed experiment, it will make conversion to parking easier.

I don't think it'll be a failed experiment, and I don't think regional staff do either.

Honestly, I've met these folks, and they are in favour of cycling.  They just don't know any other universe but the one where cars are the ONLY priority.
Ottawa Street between Imperial and Hoffman is coming along well - the north half of the road is basically complete (they were paving the top coat this morning). The one-way traffic may get flipped to the other side before the weekend.
KevinL Wrote:Ottawa Street between Imperial and Hoffman is coming along well - the north half of the road is basically complete (they were paving the top coat this morning). The one-way traffic may get flipped to the other side before the weekend.

They didn't quite do it for the weekend, but it took effect today!
(08-26-2019, 12:03 PM)KevinL Wrote:
KevinL Wrote:Ottawa Street between Imperial and Hoffman is coming along well - the north half of the road is basically complete (they were paving the top coat this morning). The one-way traffic may get flipped to the other side before the weekend.

They didn't quite do it for the weekend, but it took effect today!

Oh nice! I went through there on the bus at around 8:30, and it was still the old structure. Is the open lane of traffic still flowing the same direction (away from Homer Watson, towards Mill)? If so it will be a lot more pleasant to ride on that than the current state of Ottawa.
Yes, same direction.

The regions "Moving Forward" master plan has just been published in it's full form:

https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/explo...-plan.aspx

Interestingly, the FB post promoting it (strange eh) describes it this way:

"Our Transportation Master Plan update #MovingForwardWR is now available. What is it? Moving Forward shows the need for active transportation (cycling & walking), public transit and roads to 2041; encouraging sustainable travel & economic growth. Visit https://bit.ly/2KZVDUz for report."

Yet, the plan itself spends the majority of it's funds on road projects, and makes a fairly enemic investment into cycling. Despite that enemic investment, the Regional Council has ALREADY (like, at the beginning) underfunded the active transportation component by at least 20% (20 million dollars over 10 years).

This is like greenwashing, no real effort to change our transportation habits, just lots of lip service on business as usual.
King St uptown looks about ready to open, a truck was cleaning the streets just now and some of the cones have been taken away. That's not to say it's finished — the finishing touches / last bits of concrete for sidewalks was poured on the east side of the street today, and only one block has sidewalks on the west side. There's also no bike path at all on the west side. But maybe we'll see this open to vehicle traffic for the long weekend?
I imagine they would want it open, given all the students moving in.
I was driving through that area early this week. I knew about the Weber St. closure, but had somehow overlooked the fact that both King and Duke were also closed. I ended up forced back onto Victoria instead.
King is open (barley)for one NB lane
(08-31-2019, 03:08 PM)white_brian Wrote: King is open (barley)for one NB lane

Sidewalks are an absolute mess. Both sides, there are no usable crosswalks, east side, has absolutely nowhere for peds to go, west side merely has full height barrier curbs in the way of crossing, so if you use any mobility device, have a stroller, or are in any way less than able, forget about crossing. I guess that's priorities for the downtown core of the same city which decided to use roll curbs on a pedestrian crossing island.

King St north in Waterloo now has bike lanes running N/S from Central to Columbia
(09-06-2019, 10:41 AM)white_brian Wrote: King St north in Waterloo now has bike lanes running N/S from Central to Columbia

Wooo!

Also worth crossposting in cycling in waterloo region.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »