Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
(07-26-2018, 06:53 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-26-2018, 12:55 PM)Lens Wrote: These three buildings on Ottawa between King and Charles all have Sitler Demolition signs up. I presume this is for the Ottawa St. rework. That whole block is prime for redevelopment so maybe this clean parcel will help spur something.

Is that the "Corner Pub" and the old Short Stop headquarters??

Yes! Not sure why but my link didn't show up before.

(07-26-2018, 12:55 PM)Lens Wrote: These three buildings on Ottawa between King and Charles all have Sitler Demolition signs up. I presume this is for the Ottawa St. rework. That whole block is prime for redevelopment so maybe this clean parcel will help spur something.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ka6z7jUmV1s

Iirc, those buildings are to be demolished to make way for a widening of Ottawa St in that block.
Is the road being widened or something too?
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
(07-26-2018, 10:05 PM)Canard Wrote: Is the road being widened or something too?

that part of Ottawa is supposed to be widened sometime soon
Does anyone know if the construction work at Kossuth and Hwy 24 is just regular maintenance, or is there some sort of other change happening there? Kossuth is now completely closed to traffic at Hwy 24, which seems a bit extreme if it's just resurfacing or something similar.
(07-26-2018, 11:57 PM)jamincan Wrote: Does anyone know if the construction work at Kossuth and Hwy 24 is just regular maintenance, or is there some sort of other change happening there? Kossuth is now completely closed to traffic at Hwy 24, which seems a bit extreme if it's just resurfacing or something similar.

Wellington County is constructing a roundabout at that intersection. It’s expected to be complete by late September.
University Ave widening between Erb and Westmount starts Monday for 3 months.
(07-28-2018, 01:04 PM)timio Wrote: University Ave widening between Erb and Westmount starts Monday for 3 months.

Did they go with the roll curb on those "protected" cycling lanes too?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(07-31-2018, 12:55 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Did they go with the roll curb on those "protected" cycling lanes too?

No, these are "buffered" bike lanes. Paint only.
(07-31-2018, 02:30 PM)timc Wrote:
(07-31-2018, 12:55 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Did they go with the roll curb on those "protected" cycling lanes too?

No, these are "buffered" bike lanes. Paint only.

Are you sure? I thought this was the case that council went against staff's recommendation and pushed for the segregated lanes.

That the Regional Municipality of Waterloo take the following actions with respect to the Environmental Assessment and Preliminary Design Study for University Avenue between Keats Way and Erb Street in the City of Waterloo:
a) Approve the Recommended Design Concept for the proposed reconstruction and widening of University Avenue from Keats Way to Erb Street as described in Report TES-DCS-16-03 dated February 23, 2016 with the exception that segregated cycling lanes be included in the Design Concept instead of buffered on-road cycling lanes.
b) Direct staff to file a Notice of Completion as required by the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment and place the project file on the public record for review for a period of 30 days.
Carried, as amended

I just never saw the final design.
(07-31-2018, 05:11 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(07-31-2018, 02:30 PM)timc Wrote: No, these are "buffered" bike lanes. Paint only.

Are you sure? I thought this was the case that council went against staff's recommendation and pushed for the segregated lanes.

That the Regional Municipality of Waterloo take the following actions with respect to the Environmental Assessment and Preliminary Design Study for University Avenue between Keats Way and Erb Street in the City of Waterloo:
a) Approve the Recommended Design Concept for the proposed reconstruction and widening of University Avenue from Keats Way to Erb Street as described in Report TES-DCS-16-03 dated February 23, 2016 with the exception that segregated cycling lanes be included in the Design Concept instead of buffered on-road cycling lanes.
b) Direct staff to file a Notice of Completion as required by the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment and place the project file on the public record for review for a period of 30 days.
Carried, as amended

I just never saw the final design.

I have this question as well, both staff and council pressed hard for their preferred design, but staff's justification was...weak...to be polite.

I guess we will see in 3-6 months.
Oh, OK. I missed that part. I would be happy to see protected lanes instead, but I had recently read the word "buffered" in a news report and connected that with what I read in the staff report. If "segregated" lanes are being built, I assume that means roll curbs, similar to Columbia Street.
It looks like it will be a 1.7m cycling lane with semi-mountable curb between it and the motor vehicle lane.

See page 11 of the drawings document here.
Look, they do have a barrier curb, it's just between the bikes and pedestrians. If you combined the bike and sidewalk with the segment in between, you could get wider versions of both, and put the curb over next to the cars.
Ugh, and they've also called for 3.65 meter lanes.  They don't need those if they're using roll curbs, AFAIK.

I cannot stand spending money to make our roads less safe.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Possibly Related Threads...
  Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Townline Road Shawn 223 91,251 Yesterday, 11:40 AM
Last Post: tomh009
  Highway 401 Widening - Hespeler Road to Townline Road The85 12 7,779 11-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Canard