Hey Guest,
Welcome, Join our awesome community where you can discuss on various topics
or Create an Account

Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Dear WRConnected Users: WOW! Our fourth "birthday"! We've grown so much over the past four years, and much of that is because of you, the amazing WRConnected Users. But like any other website, there are costs associated with running it. As some of you may already know, we accept donations. Some of you have made donations (thank you!). This helps cover some of the background costs associated with running this site. If every user were to donate $1 we would more than cover our yearly expenses. If WRConnected is useful to you, take a minute and help keep it online for another year. Any donation is helpful. Thank you.

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
I know the spot you're talking about Masala, there used to be a similar spot on the 401 near Milton. Sadly, someone plowed directly into the barrier. They've improved that one since then using collapsible cones to better delineate the lane, the spot you are talking about still catches me off guard each time, though and I'm well aware of it.
(10-31-2017, 06:42 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Speaking of nightmares, that 1.5 day closure of Columbia/Lexington @ Marsland created some chaos.

Just to clarify, I was being facetious. The closure of two lanes of Weber between Albert and Parkside not only didn't cause any traffic nightmares, it had no impact at all. Traffic was free-flowing and those lanes clearly aren't needed.
Anyone know what is going on at the Bridgeport on-ramp to 85 north? Looks like they are doing some sewer work and the ramp has been closed for over a week now. No advance notice or signage, and I still see people trying to access the ramp every day.
Re Bridgeport: there were signs up on Bridgeport heading from Lancaster and on Lancaster itself for at least a week or two prior to the closure. Not sure about the other direction on Bridgeport as I don't usually drive that way.
Sod is in now on South side of reconstructed Bingamans Centre Dr and there will not be sidewalks on this side. Bus stop pads however have been installed, locked between 5 lanes of highway and fence....
(11-03-2017, 07:38 PM)Smore Wrote: Sod is in now on South side of reconstructed Bingamans Centre Dr and there will not be sidewalks on this side.  Bus stop pads however have been installed, locked between 5 lanes of highway and fence....

Please tell me this isn't the case?  This is clearly against city policies, and I'm pretty sure regional policies.
If I recall the Wellington St extension was an MTO project so it’s likely their design standards. For example the traffic lights have the MTO style brackets holding them on the arms rather than hangers used locally.
(11-04-2017, 06:10 AM)neonjoe Wrote: If I recall the Wellington St extension was an MTO project so it’s likely their design standards. For example the traffic lights have the MTO style brackets holding them on the arms rather than hangers used locally.

The project is an MTO project but so far as I am aware the local streets will still be Regional or City. This looks to me like yet another example of the double standard, where policies on lane width, intersection size, etc. are inviolate, but sidewalk and bicycle route policies are optional for the planning teams.
(11-04-2017, 09:36 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-04-2017, 06:10 AM)neonjoe Wrote: If I recall the Wellington St extension was an MTO project so it’s likely their design standards. For example the traffic lights have the MTO style brackets holding them on the arms rather than hangers used locally.

The project is an MTO project but so far as I am aware the local streets will still be Regional or City. This looks to me like yet another example of the double standard, where policies on lane width, intersection size, etc. are inviolate, but sidewalk and bicycle route policies are optional for the planning teams.

Moreover, why is the MTO standard not require sidewalks on both sides of the road, especially for MTO roads which tend to be big highways.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">UpTown Waterloo’s steetscape project is crawling along, but at least looks like it’s moved onto the “reconstruction” phase. <a href="https://t.co/p4rWg43gP4">pic.twitter.com/p4rWg43gP4</a></p>&mdash; ? Iain Hendry ? (@Canardiain) <a href="https://twitter.com/Canardiain/status/926870318278479872?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 4, 2017</a></blockquote>
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
(11-04-2017, 10:40 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-04-2017, 09:36 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: The project is an MTO project but so far as I am aware the local streets will still be Regional or City. This looks to me like yet another example of the double standard, where policies on lane width, intersection size, etc. are inviolate, but sidewalk and bicycle route policies are optional for the planning teams.

Moreover, why is the MTO standard not require sidewalks on both sides of the road, especially for MTO roads which tend to be big highways.

To be fair, most of the road length managed by MTO is rural highways where you would not expect to see a sidewalk.

But regardless, all local roads should be built according to City and Regional policies, regardless of who is in charge of the specific construction project.
I saw this along Bingeman Centre as well.... There is a concrete "pad" that seems about 2 - 3' in width adjacent to the curb on the east (south) side.  Is this 1/2 a sidewalk or a cartoonish curb?

I thought it odd that bus bays were on this same side of the road.

Coke
Anecdotal evidence sidewalk needed on that side. I was fortunate to see two people run/walking their dog in the bike lane heading towards Breslau at 6 pm last night. They were stepping pretty close to travel lane as they dodged the orange construction cones. Wearing black in a poorly lit stretch seemed ill-considered.
Oh god, here we go.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
With the narrowing of King St Uptown I hope the taxis will be a little respectful and not just stop with their four ways on since it's now only 2 lanes instead of four. Or if they do someone does something about it