Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Target Canada
Would be a good place for a Simons if they expand into the area. Or Primark if they come to Canada.

I don't think there is any plans for anything to open in the Conestoga mall space anytime soon I noticed there is a mural covering the wall inside the mall. Kind of surprised that Loblaws doesn't take the opportunity to turn the space into a Real Canadian superstore but I guess they just renovated the Zehrs so there probably happy with what they got.
It's been over 4 Years since Target closed in Kitchener and the location is still abandoned, I'm starting to wonder if anything will ever open in there. With the Home Outfitters Location closed beside it that is an even larger chunk of abandoned space. I'm guessing one issue is it's too close to retailers that would have opened in the space, like Lowe's, Walmart, Canadian Tire etc.
(04-09-2019, 05:55 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: It's been over 4 Years since Target closed in Kitchener and the location is still abandoned, I'm starting to wonder if anything will ever open in there. With the Home Outfitters Location closed beside it that is an even larger chunk of abandoned space. I'm guessing one issue is it's too close to retailers that would have opened in the space, like Lowe's, Walmart, Canadian Tire etc.

Maybe malls aren't as popular as they used to be?
The local malls have all repurposed their spaces. This was just the one in the Big Box development with really only 5 large anchors with really no inline tenants (Other than a bank, dentist and Eb games)
The five major tenants were
Zehrs
Rona (Now Lowes)
Staples
Zellers (Then Target, Now Vacant)
Home Outfitters (Now Vacant)

There really isn't a unique draw here other that could bring in more tenants, event if the Target/Home Outfitters were subdivided.
It does have good visibility and accessibility from Highway 7-8
(04-09-2019, 05:55 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: It's been over 4 Years since Target closed in Kitchener and the location is still abandoned, I'm starting to wonder if anything will ever open in there. With the Home Outfitters Location closed beside it that is an even larger chunk of abandoned space. I'm guessing one issue is it's too close to retailers that would have opened in the space, like Lowe's, Walmart, Canadian Tire etc.

I'd be surprised to see anything there, it's a poor spot that's far away from the road and as you say, all the big box chains are already nearby. It'd be a good spot for an skating rink/pool or some other indoor sports facility.
(04-09-2019, 09:39 AM)clasher Wrote:

I'd be surprised to see anything there, it's a poor spot that's far away from the road and as you say, all the big box chains are already nearby. It'd be a good spot for an skating rink/pool or some other indoor sports facility.

It would be, but I think the city has too much going close to that area.

Arena -- one or two-rink arena is planned close to Fischer-Hallmans and Bleams -- and one about 5 minutes away (if that) - Activa Sports Complex, not to mention the Aud Complex
Pools -- Cameron Heights and Forest Heights Pools are fairly close
Community Centres -- Mill Court is somewhat close, and Chandler-Mowat community centre is just down the street.

They'd need to do a rebuild and have offices in there along with some retail.

I'd heard a rumour at one point it might become office space, perhaps a call centre; but that seems to have gone nowhere.
If Ikea wanted to build in the region, it's the only real brownfield space they could repurpose in town. Otherwise, they'd have to do a Waterloo Costco and build net new on the outskirts, but then there'd be not really great highway access.
If Ikea were ever to put a store in the Region, it would most likely be at 24 and 401.
I wouldn't rule out the Sportsworld/Gateway Park area for Ikea - there's some parcels that could be put together there, though at least some existing business would have to move.
If Ikea were to come to the region:

Toss up between Sportsworld/Gateway Park and 401/24 as the first choice.
Possibly the old Target site (highway access).
Less likely 401 close to Homer Watson/Fountain

I can't see Ikea going close to the Costco on Erb though, poor access, no highway and horrible traffic. I just can't see Ikea opening across from a dump.

My understanding is that Ikea wants a base population of close to 1,000,000, and we're just not there quite yet:
Kitchener area 550,000 + Guelph Area 150,000 + Brantford area (if at 401 at SportsWorld or 24) 130,000 so 830,000 in total.
(04-10-2019, 12:29 AM)jeffster Wrote: My understanding is that Ikea wants a base population of close to 1,000,000, and we're just not there quite yet:
Kitchener area 550,000 + Guelph Area 150,000 + Brantford area (if at 401 at SportsWorld or 24) 130,000 so 830,000 in total.

Also we’re close to other existing Ikeas. Winnipeg has an Ikea, and my impression is that Winnipeg is a bit on the small side to have one, but the next closest one is in Ontario.

(04-10-2019, 06:57 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 12:29 AM)jeffster Wrote: My understanding is that Ikea wants a base population of close to 1,000,000, and we're just not there quite yet:

Also we’re close to other existing Ikeas. Winnipeg has an Ikea, and my impression is that Winnipeg is a bit on the small side to have one, but the next closest one is in Ontario.

Yes, that is a factor -- Burlington and Vaughn (I believe, or perhaps it's North York -- the one off of the 400) are within an hours drive. My choice has always been Burlington.
Is the old Target site even big enough?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »