Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Target Canada
(01-16-2015, 12:50 PM)Markster Wrote: In the mean time, we can all enjoy the second round of deep-discount-everything-must-go sales from these stores in 3 years!

Don't count on it. I was disappointed with the Zellers liquidation. It was a, er,  giant paper tiger for real bargain hunters. Most stuff was only 10% or 20% off for the first several weeks. Then after everyone had rifled through the merchandise and cherry picked the lukewarm bargains they raised the discounts on remaining inventory to a whopping 30% off. Maybe Target will be different but I'm not holding my breath for it.
Hey, I never said that deep discount stuff was the best stuff!
Target did have pretty good prices when they had clearance tags on the products. We got numerous things including household cleaners for 70% off.

The liquidation percentages will likely be set by the liquidator rather than Target itself.
Someone suggested the Irish company Primark as a potential new tenant; they recently expanded into the northeastern US in former Sears locations. Would be interesting to see how they compete with Simons if they do expand in anglophone Canada.
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Zellers make a comeback, surprisingly better than before. After all, Target bought out Zellers' leases - not the company or brand itself. In fact, two Zellers stores still exist and are open as HBC discount/outlet stores in Toronto and Ottawa. Maybe this was a strategic move on HBC's part to keep the Zellers brand on a very low profile to give them the opportunity to revive it if the opportunity arose. Just think, they could regain some of their old retail space back for pennies on the dollar and pick the best of the best locations.

While Zellers stores were dated and usually a mess, they stuck around for a long time in their sorry state. Perfect opportunity to learn from both Zellers past mistakes as well as Target's and be a perfect Canadian competitor to Walmart and quite possibly Sears if they go the same way Target just did...
That's a really good point, it would be a big opportunity for HBC to bring back Zellers. I notice on online news articles a lot of people are commenting to bring back Zellers they miss Zellers etc. Target and Zellers have alot of similarities Target even has Cherokee, all HBC would really need to do is change the signs, uniforms and carts.
(01-17-2015, 04:23 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: it would be a big opportunity for HBC to bring back Zellers... all HBC would really need to do is change the signs, uniforms and carts.

Really? And go head-to-head with Wal-Mart? Methinks not. 

Unlike Target, Wal-Mart did succeed in Canada. Amazingly well. They were probably the main reason why Zellers went kaput. They're also a major reason why HBC itself is struggling and has been through several ownership changes and reorganizations since Wal-Mart came up here.

Zellers may have local roots and HBC national roots, but sentimentality shouldn't dictate business decisions. I doubt it factors into shoppers' decisions, especially at the low end of the budget spectrum where, er, "The lowest price is the law."

Do you really think HBC would stand a chance at a second chance against Wal-Mart?
I'm hoping that Ivanhoe Cambridge realises the value of the land that Target currently sits on (100m from an LRT station) and either sells off the property or bulldoses it themselves and puts up some residental development.
Do you have examples of successful residential buildings sitting atop a mall? I certainly wouldn't want to live on top of Conestoga Mall.
(01-17-2015, 03:35 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Do you have examples of successful residential buildings sitting atop a mall? I certainly wouldn't want to live on top of Conestoga Mall.

The Cours Mont-Royal in Montreal comes to mind: http://www.lcmr.ca/en

There is also housing at the Complexe Guy-Favreau which is office + a bit of commercial. Wikipedia says that it is a housing cooperative. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complexe_Guy-Favreau
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »