Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Caroline St Private Residences | 22 fl | Complete
I think I see what they were going for w/ the podium. Different 'distinct' businesses taking up those spots right. So wanted each to have opportunity to be a bit unique. Any word on which business/restos will be in there?

(03-25-2019, 10:46 AM)Momo26 Wrote: I think I see what they were going for w/ the podium. Different 'distinct' businesses taking up those spots right. So wanted each to have opportunity to be a bit unique. Any word on which business/restos will be in there?

Will there be any?  The problem I thought I was seeing was that all the "storefronts" seem "faux".
Hmm, not sure. Faux meaning they look like storefronts but are residences? Or just the lobby/common areas?
(03-25-2019, 11:51 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Hmm, not sure. Faux meaning they look like storefronts but are residences? Or just the lobby/common areas?

No idea - I just wasn't certain from the photos that any of the frontage was given over to commercial use/storefronts.
(03-25-2019, 10:46 AM)Momo26 Wrote: I think I see what they were going for w/ the podium. Different 'distinct' businesses taking up those spots right. So wanted each to have opportunity to be a bit unique. Any word on which business/restos will be in there?

Nope. This building is 100% residential. No mixed use Sad
(03-25-2019, 10:23 AM)Spokes Wrote: Love that first picture and it's perspective. Thanks for all your photo updates this weekend.

The streetscape, while isn't great, isn't as bad as I expected.

I don't find that first image very flattering tbh, but not terrible.

As for the street level interaction... IT SUCKS! What a brutal mishmash of styles and materials and an overall unwelcoming frontage.
Oh I'm not saying it's good at all. But originally wasn't it all open to the parking inside the podium?

I'm not certain if any building had ever tastefully integrated podium parking into a high rise condo. Are there any examples? Not sure if City Centre counts as it's only 1 floor...it's not horrible.
(03-26-2019, 10:35 AM)Momo26 Wrote: I'm not certain if any building had ever tastefully integrated podium parking into a high rise condo. Are there any examples? Not sure if City Centre counts as it's only 1 floor...it's not horrible.

I think 1 Victoria did a pretty good job, and 144 Park was good too (the ground floor houses hid things nicely).
Mondrian in Ottawa does a pretty decent job, I think.
LOVE Mondrian
I think the implementation lost some of the drama of the proposal, but it still turned out very nice.
If this building is intended to be 100% residential and no commercial (if I understood correctly), what is planned for the ground floor, behind the "carolinest.ca" signage and orange tarp?

I think it's parking.
(03-27-2019, 09:03 AM)Spokes Wrote: I think it's parking.

Correct, and some of it has been rented out by Vincenzos - they have signs inside the store saying FUTURE VINCENZOS PARKING and a picture of the podium. Sad
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »