Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conestoga Parkway
Glad that is cleared up! I was going to say, those high-mast lighting have been operational for years!

Happy they are wrapping things up on the Hwy. 7/8 stretch! Will be nice once it's all finished Smile

(04-25-2016, 04:20 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Sorry, I thought it was more well-known what was being worked on - yes the Fischer Hallman - Courtland section is what I was referring to!

Ding ding ding!  Do I win a prize? Big Grin
When driving out that way this weekend (for the first time in a long while), I was surprised to see it under construction still - I remarked that it had started well before the Light Rail construction began - and predicted it might still be under construction, as ion starts running!
The road is completed, they're just working on the median and finishing touches now. Most of the median is in place with short sections here and there, likely being used as temporary crossovers for those working on it.
But it's not 3 lanes...? I thought the whole thing was to get it to 3 lanes.
Currently the third lane is blocked off by temporary barriers so they can finish work on the median. Once the barriers are removed, it will be 3 lanes each direction.
It's typical in situations like this that the extra lanes are blocked off until all the work is completed.

Right; I know - I just thought after like 4+ years of construction we'd be well into the "opening it up" phase. Smile I guess from what I'm hearing that's very close.
I wonder why there isn't more hand-wringing in the record about the whole thing taking so long... and not a peep about how much it cost compared to how much we hear about the LRT.
Isn't the work on schedule?
(04-25-2016, 07:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Isn't the work on schedule?

I believe it was scheduled from 2011 - 2016 with minor work at the start and finish. That's why the Homer Watson / Ottawa and Alpine / Ottawa roundabouts were originally supposed to start this year (have since been postponed until after the LRT is done to limit major detours in every part of town).

2011: Startup work
2012: Fischer Hallman - Homer Watson (Fischer Hallman on-ramp and Westmount overpass)
2013: Courtland - Ottawa (Courtland and LRT overpass - one direction)
2014: Courtland - Ottawa (Courtland and LRT overpass - other direction)
2015: Ottawa - Homer Watson (Ottawa and Homer Watson overpasses)
2016: Finishing touches
(04-25-2016, 04:59 PM)timio Wrote: The road is completed, they're just working on the median and finishing touches now.  Most of the median is in place with short sections here and there, likely being used as temporary crossovers for those working on it.

In Mississauga, they still have the 401 median blocked off with temporary barriers.  I don't think I have seen any work going on there for several years now.
(04-25-2016, 06:35 PM)clasher Wrote: I wonder why there isn't more hand-wringing in the record about the whole thing taking so long... and not a peep about how much it cost compared to how much we hear about the LRT.

How much did it cost?

(04-25-2016, 11:35 PM)notmyfriends Wrote:
(04-25-2016, 06:35 PM)clasher Wrote: I wonder why there isn't more hand-wringing in the record about the whole thing taking so long... and not a peep about how much it cost compared to how much we hear about the LRT.

How much did it cost?

No idea, the site for the job (http://www.highway7-8.com/) doesn't show any results when I search for cost and a quick google just nets me stuff about the 401 expansion.
(04-26-2016, 07:49 AM)clasher Wrote:
(04-25-2016, 11:35 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: How much did it cost?

No idea, the site for the job (http://www.highway7-8.com/) doesn't show any results when I search for cost and a quick google just nets me stuff about the 401 expansion.

See:   http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/travell...t2011-3003
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »