Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UW - Health Sciences Building | 4 fl | U/C
University of Waterloo
Health Sciences Building

4 storeys

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/kitchene...-1.2867655

Quote:The university said the four-storey facility will include cutting-edge kinesiology laboratories and a lecture theatre with 350 seats. The building will also house the school of anatomy. 

The new building is supposed to be built where parking lot M is located. Lot M is between the University Club and the Lyle S. Hallman Institute for Health Promotion.

That's a good location but I was hoping they would build it at the Kitchener Health Sciences Campus and School of Pharmacy. Besides the School of Pharmacy, that campus has McMaster University's DeGroote School of Medicine and the School of Optometry's satellite teaching and research clinic. If they would have built in Kitchener the only thing missing would have been a teaching hospital.
(12-11-2014, 03:47 PM)jgsz Wrote: The new building is supposed to be built where parking lot M is located.  Lot M is between the University Club and the Lyle S. Hallman Institute for Health Promotion.  

That's a good location but I was hoping they would build it at the Kitchener Health Sciences Campus and School of Pharmacy.  Besides the School of Pharmacy, that campus has McMaster University's DeGroote School of Medicine and the School of Optometry's satellite teaching and research clinic.  If they would have built in Kitchener the only thing missing would have been a teaching hospital.

This building is a COSTCO with bricks and several floors.

Why can't the University of Waterloo be as creative with it's architectural design as it is being a world leading higher education university? 

The drawing looks like they are building a provincial jail or that the University saved money by copying the exterior architecture from a cold-war Moscow building. Apparently I really dislike this "sameness model" they subscribe to.

[Image: B821801137Z.1_20141211181804_000_GU61CR7...allery.jpg] 
While that is admittedly dull, UW has recently built a number of architecturally unique buildings. I'm not sure if sameness is a legitimate criticism to direct at them.
(12-12-2014, 10:22 AM)jamincan Wrote: While that is admittedly dull, UW has recently built a number of architecturally unique buildings. I'm not sure if sameness is a legitimate criticism to direct at them.

I will accept "dullness" as a replacement 
(12-12-2014, 10:55 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(12-12-2014, 10:22 AM)jamincan Wrote: While that is admittedly dull, UW has recently built a number of architecturally unique buildings. I'm not sure if sameness is a legitimate criticism to direct at them.

I will accept "dullness" as a replacement 

You think the Quantum Nano Centre is boring and dull? E5? EV3? There are scores of buildings on the campus that certainly are, but those three are very recent construction that are quite interesting on the contrary.
(12-13-2014, 09:35 AM)jamincan Wrote: You think the Quantum Nano Centre is boring and dull? E5? EV3? There are scores of buildings on the campus that certainly are, but those three are very recent construction that are quite interesting on the contrary.

Also from earlier eras are the Dana Porter library, Math & Computing building, Davis Centre, et al.

Construction crews are already on site. The east half of Lot M is currently fenced off. Was this project already announced previously?

(12-13-2014, 10:24 AM)ookpik Wrote:
(12-13-2014, 09:35 AM)jamincan Wrote: You think the Quantum Nano Centre is boring and dull? E5? EV3? There are scores of buildings on the campus that certainly are, but those three are very recent construction that are quite interesting on the contrary.

Also from earlier eras are the Dana Porter library, Math & Computing building, Davis Centre, et al.

Still sad that a world renowned university builds a new building in 2014-2016 that marks the north entrance to the campus with an architecturally designed box with windows. Creative they are not!
Fair enough.

How are these sorts of architectural decisions made, i.e. by the university administration or by the faculty?

How are the buildings funded, i.e. by the university administration or by the faculty's budget?

I'm asking because I have no idea. Perhaps a faculty that needs to expand but has relatively little money has no choice but to build a big box with windows.
Mediocre architecture at UW, as usual. Check out this earlier concept for the same building:

[Image: building-rendering.jpg]

can be found here:

https://uwaterloo.ca/applied-health-scie...thy-future

Another lost opportunity, ugh.
I agree, but I think this has to do with the source of funds. Some donors explicitly request that a good architect firm be engaged as condition of the donation, while other sources demand a barebones functional design (usually government sources).
The original proposal was MUCH better

They typically are better until reality, physics and budgets get in the way.
(12-14-2014, 01:48 PM)MaxT63 Wrote: Was this project already announced previously?

I don't know, but at the end of September they seemed to be starting some sort of construction in the parking lot.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »