Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ThyssenKrupp MULTI: Horizontal Elevator

There is a practical limit to the height of skyscrapers; how quickly and efficiently can you move people from the ground floor to their destination? The higher the building, the more elevator shafts you need at the core, and at some point you have more space taken up on each floor with elevator shafts than usable area.

I sure hope the test tower being built in Germany for 2016 will be open to the public!

That is a turbo lift.  My sources tell me by 2270 they will be voice controlled. 
I've been in modern buildings with three cars per shaft. You enter the floor you are going to and it sends you to a specific car, say people going to the top  20 floors take car A, and people going to the 20 floors below go to car B, then there is an inverted Y junction and both ride up on the same shaft, with car A first and car B below it.

I've also taken elevators where you move horizontally at a high speed and reconnect to an upwards shaft.
I too have ridden Disney's Tower of Terror, BuildingScout. Wink

(...and Intamin Gen1 freefall towers!)
And finally, the test tower is built, and operational.

I am speechless.  I could just cry.  As a mechanical designer, a fan of transportation devices and linear motors, my heart is completely full.

Tom Scott goes in for a closer look:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdTsbFS4xmI
(Minor nitpick - Tom says "Linear Induction Motor" - this is not correct, these are Linear Synchronous Motors. This is a very important differentiation, and I'd be happy to elaborate if anyone cares why)

Full ThyssenKrupp Page:  https://multi.thyssenkrupp-elevator.com/en/

First building has been announced:  OVG Real Estate’s new East Side Tower in Berlin.

I'm going to need a while to recover.
Moar:

Wow, they've really coordinated a media blitz, huh?
For the reveal at the test tower, yes. The OVG project announcement probably necessitated it.

This is killing me - I'll be an hour away from it in a week!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »