Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-Speed Rail (HSR) - Toronto/Pearson/Kitchener/London
(03-29-2018, 09:33 AM)JoeKW Wrote:
(03-29-2018, 08:16 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Isn't this being put in the budget?

It's hardly meaningless then.  It's real money that's being planned.

If we vote for a government which cancels it, that's on *US* not the government.

While I agree with the general principle written above there's also the reality that the Liberals are very unlikely to win this election and they know it.  It's easy to put something huge in the budget when you think you won't be around to see it through.  This would be a lot more meaningful if it was in last years budget.

This budget is transparently an election platform and I don't think it was put together in good faith.  It will be interesting to see what happens to it if the Liberals manage to hang on.  (Fwiw, I'm all for this stuff)

While this is fair enough, I do think that it being in the budget makes it a little bit more than a "meaningless promise".  The budget is a platform, but it is also a budget, and thus carries a little more weight than the platform of any other party.

The idea that they think they might lose and thus are willing to put things in the budget they wouldn't otherwise is interesting.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: High-Speed Rail (HSR) - Toronto/Pearson/Kitchener/London - by danbrotherston - 03-29-2018, 11:22 AM