Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-Speed Rail (HSR) - Toronto/Pearson/Kitchener/London
There was a follow-up at 6 as well, couldn't copy the link for some reason

(02-11-2016, 10:30 PM)white_brian Wrote: There was a follow-up at 6 as well, couldn't copy the link for some reason

Here you go: http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/toronto-kitc...-1.2774587
I find it amazing that the part that CTV thinks the story is the lack of mention of Guelph in any future potential rail service when the actual story is the lack of ownership on a critical section of track preventing any 2-way all-day service. They do eventually mention it at the end, but they fail to say where it is.
My understanding is that CN still owns the section from Bramalea GO to Georgetown GO.
what happen to this? I thought we were supposed to get something in the fall....
Another study, maybe.
Nothing's going to happen without a financial commitment from one or all levels of government. I'm not going to hold my breath.

The government has a survey that seems based around either HSR cost/financials or else HOT lanes on the 401.

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3059422/S...Survey-103
And as a follow-up to that survey, I now know through a colleague one of the people working on the EA for this. Trying to convince them that skipping Guelph is something that should at least be considered.

Also wondering if they're working in concert with things like SIXO at all. Would hate to think that the location/configuration of one development might be allowed to proceed in such a way that it precludes or greatly cost-increases a project like this. Are EAs ever allowed to impose restrictions on developments coming online which could be in conflict, or at least give warning to them that, hey, if you build here, you can't complain about what's to come, whether you don't like trains coming by, vibrations, construction, or whatever else?
Another study, yay!
(04-25-2017, 09:18 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Another study, yay!

It will probably conclude that the issue should be studied some more. But it seems that could have been determined just by sheer extrapolation, rather than going through a full study.
Obligatory.

Is that another looming provincial election I smell??

(04-26-2017, 10:41 AM)JCnb Wrote:

Is that another looming provincial election I smell??

You only just noticed that the campaign has already begun?  Wink

Someday, I'd like to see an explanation of the relationship between HSR, all-day, two-way GO service, and enhanced VIA service.  All three seem to be at some stage of being considered, but actually implementing all three between Kitchener and Toronto (among others) makes no sense to me.
I thought the HSR studies incorporated the work that GO would have to do to update the line for all-day-two-way GO service?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »