Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-Speed Rail (HSR) - Toronto/Pearson/Kitchener/London
(11-04-2015, 08:52 AM)ookpik Wrote: So about 2 min to accelerate, 2 min to decelerate and another 1 to 2 minutes stationary. (I'd say 2 min at places like YYZ where people will have lots of luggage to schlep on and off the train.) So each stop will probably add about 5 min to total travel time of an HSR. That argues against frequent stops. And that IMNSHO argues against HSR in the proposed London-KW-Toronto corridor. ISTM to make much more sense to run "conventional" trains at 160km/hr, have stops at all mid-sized communities along the route like Guelph and Woodstock, and thus get as much ridership as possible as quickly as possible. At 160km/hr it should be possible to do KW to Union in half the time it now takes on GO. Offer hourly trains and you've go a backbone system that satisfies regular commuters as well as casual day-trippers.

But as I said before it would be nice to see some analysis of these issues including speeds, stops, frequency, costs, etc.

I agree we couldn't have many stops. Guelph and Pearson tops, in my opinion.

I question the value of spending a large amount close to the HSR cost yet end up with only a 160km/hr train. If we are going to expropriate land and lay down track we might as well go all the way.

We should lay down HSR track, have a two stop train every hour (possibly even a few non-stops  express during rush hour) and in the gaps between the two-stops send a milk run right behind which would have up to 1:30 to complete the trip.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: High-Speed Rail (HSR) - Toronto/Pearson/Kitchener/London - by BuildingScout - 11-04-2015, 09:30 AM