Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-Speed Rail (HSR) - Toronto/Pearson/Kitchener/London
I'd rather hold out for the Class 91s and get some wires up. That said, we've bought British before. I think most of them are still in pieces because they can't get the ones that do run to work right.

There's also the unused Talgos in Wisconsin, except they're so butt ugly.

Please don't mention the "T" word. I just threw up a little.
Premier Wynne expected to announce high-speed rail line

"The province plans to spend $15 million on an environmental assessment of the project to examine the design and specifications needed for the high-speed rail line, according to CTV News."
I'm tired of all these studies
I think this one is legitimately different. Past studies have been theoretical, an actual environmental assessment is the legally required planning before construction. None of the past studies have ever taken the steps required to cross that legal threshold that allows actual construction.

Actual construction will of course be more work, but this a step required in getting there (unlike the previous studies).
/\ I sincerely hope you are right. I really, really do. I am however highly sceptical that this will amount to anything more than the lip service this idea has always received.

I hope to hell I am proven wrong. Would happily stuff my face with crow on this one.
They want the London to Toronto section by 2025, but the EA could be 4-6 years? That does not leave a lot of construction time especially with the large number of grade separation projects still remaining in this region alone.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(05-19-2017, 12:32 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: /\ I sincerely hope you are right. I really, really do. I am however highly sceptical that this will amount to anything more than the lip service this idea has always received.

I hope to hell I am proven wrong. Would happily stuff my face with crow on this one.

I think it's far from a done deal. ION almost died during/after the EA as funding issues came to light, costs were higher than expected, etc. It will take some substantial public interest and advocacy to overcome that, even when the EA is complete. But that doesn't mean we should dismiss it as yet another study, it's a concrete step towards actual construction, just not the final step.
Does anyone have the details of where/when the announcement will be? 570 News alluded that the Premier was going to be at Google around noon for a tour.
This announcement is going to be in London, though I don't think the Star said where.

I'll be surprised if this project makes it past the election next year.
The Liberals made a promise about HSR in 2014, just before the last election. Interesting that we have more stuff happening a year before the next election. I would love to see it happen, but right now it just looks like an attempt to buy some votes.
(05-19-2017, 06:39 AM)Canard Wrote: Does anyone have the details of where/when the announcement will be? 570 News alluded that the Premier was going to be at Google around noon for a tour.

The announcement will be at noon at Google. She just finished the London announcement and coming here now.
According to the announcement, it would include stops in Guelph. And in Chatham.

Chatham is well over halfway to Windsor from London. Where would be the sense in going that far and stopping? Just to unseat Monte McNaughton?

The full report is out too:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/publica...report.pdf

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/publica...se-hsr.pdf
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Some details from the report:

-Pearson would be served from an upgraded Malton GO; the people mover would be extended there. When/if the new Pearson hub is built, service would move there.

-Guelph and Chatham stations would get upgrades and additonal platforms. London would be a rebuild of the current Via station.

-Windsor would be a whole new station, with a direct connection to the Detroit tunnel. Future service to Chicago is explicitly indicated as a possibility.

-To avoid overcrowded Union platforms, a new HSR station might go in under the approach tracks to the west of the station (just south of the current UPX platform).

-The Kitchener-London segment would be on entirely new track; a hydro corridor that goes through here is indicated as good placement to reduce disruption.

All of the above is from the lower-cost 'scenario B' that was developed. A more expensive 'scenario A' would have involved more new track and tunnels to underground stations in downtown areas (though it would allow faster trains).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »