Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete
I am by no means saying landlords are refusing to rent to independent businesses, but it does seem to be a trend that the only retail tenants in newly built condos or offices tend to be banks, drug stores or dentist offices. This is completely anecdotal observations i have no references to back this up.   When i lived in Toronto it seemed to be the case 9 times out of ten.

(09-04-2020, 02:44 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I am by no means saying landlords are refusing to rent to independent businesses, but it does seem to be a trend that the only retail tenants in newly built condos or offices tend to be banks, drug stores or dentist offices. This is completely anecdotal observations i have no references to back this up.   When i lived in Toronto it seemed to be the case 9 times out of ten.

I've read that the big chains tend to overpay and crowd out the market from the indies. I don't have any references at the moment.
Landlords will want to maximize their revenues and I'm sure a lot of small and newer businesses can't afford what the big guys will pay
(09-09-2020, 11:05 AM)Spokes Wrote: Landlords will want to maximize their revenues and I'm sure a lot of small and newer businesses can't afford what the big guys will pay

Sometimes that will be the case. But other times the big guys drive a very hard bargain and push for lower rents than an independent would be able to get.

And, at least at the moment, there is substantial retail vacancy in DTK so independents, too, should be able to find space,
(Weed shop discussion moved to the cannabis thread.)
Will the non-window areas be spandrel glass, or something else? Has anyone seen a render from this side?

This project looks great. I hope it wins an award when it is done .

Mayfair hotel on a quiet Tuesday:

[Image: ZrnsHP9.jpg]
Just plain awesome!
I can’t get myself to “awesome” - I’m holding at “unique”, “interesting”, maybe “eccentric” (in a good way!). My fears of “tacky” have dissipated.
Noticed on a walk this weekend that the metal panels were being installed at the back of this building. Unfortunately I did not get a photo. Appeared to be nice greyish panels.
Sidewalks were being poured today.
Any indication yet of when RBC is moving?

Oh yes that's right, another bank taking ultra prime real estate, ofc.

I still feel something COOL and vibrant should be going in here. Yes big banks are consistent with the lease but you know what, if you dont pay you get evicted regardless.

Did we conclude if a roof top resto is going in here?
(10-27-2020, 12:36 AM)dtkvictim Wrote: Sidewalks were being poured today.

It seems that Young St might actually reopen soon. And with nice, wide sidewalks, too!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »