Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete
Ground has been broken! It's not exactly a hive of activity yet, but at least there is an excavator on site.

This is a drawing of what I think that One Young will look like (in terms of massing):

Centre block is going to be the place to be with City Centre 1, Young Condos, 45 Duke, One Young, and the new office building fronting King

Attached Files Image(s)

This is actually happening years sooner than I feared might be the case, which is a good thing. I still haven't decided whether the image of the old Mayfair on the glass cladding is going to be fabulous or tacky - could go either way, istm.
(06-08-2019, 04:48 PM)kalis0490 Wrote: This is a drawing of what I think that One Young will look like (in terms of massing):

Centre block is going to be the place to be with City Centre 1, Young Condos, 45 Duke, One Young, and the new office building fronting King

It will actually merit the name "centre block"!
Lots of action onsite today with a digger and some other equipment moving a lot of dirt.
Excavation is progressing.

Photo 
As of Aug 3 2019    

I've forgotten - will this building have any parking below ground level?
I don't know if we know do we
It looks like they have stopped digging, so I would say that they are planning to rely on the city hall parking garage.

I'm surprised that they haven't had to put shoring in along the side of the neighbouring building.
Sat Aug 24th, digging continuing

Aug 31st, rebar/mesh going down for what I assume will be basement slab

Basement slab or crane pad?
Good point re: crane. I have a hard time visualizing a crane at that site given its size and how very in the core it is.

Picture update:

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »