Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete
Oh don't get me wrong, fritted glass is beautiful, but this shortcut of "well just Photoshop an old building onto it" was really tacky. To anyone who was not automatically familiar with the building...the reaction seems like it would be: wait, I see a building, but why is there a fake building on the windows?

(10-18-2021, 12:03 AM)ac3r Wrote: Oh don't get me wrong, fritted glass is beautiful, but this shortcut of "well just Photoshop an old building onto it" was really tacky. To anyone who was not automatically familiar with the building...the reaction seems like it would be: wait, I see a building, but why is there a fake building on the windows?

To each their own, but I'd label it as "quirky".  Not necessarily a bad thing.
(10-18-2021, 10:17 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 12:03 AM)ac3r Wrote: Oh don't get me wrong, fritted glass is beautiful, but this shortcut of "well just Photoshop an old building onto it" was really tacky. To anyone who was not automatically familiar with the building...the reaction seems like it would be: wait, I see a building, but why is there a fake building on the windows?

To each their own, but I'd label it as "quirky".  Not necessarily a bad thing.

Variety in architecture! I would hate the have the downtown full of such designs but having this one is great. Very happy to see how well this one turned out.
I vote in favor of liking it.. I just looks so good to me..
It's one of my favourite recent buildings in the region.
Beautiful. Thanks for posting.

I'm inclined to say I like the glass. Which means I've come a LONG way since it started
I also love the fritted glass. I think it's one of the few examples of a high quality exterior in the region.

Looking lovely a few nights ago

[Image: 51663027896_f863845a39_b.jpg]One Young by Matt, on Flickr
I saw something was finally happening on the upper floors, and.... it's Conestoga College  Huh I can't understand why Conestoga wants a two floors of such a small floorplate, it seems inconsequential next to Market Square, and the spaces Europro could offer them. Also says something dire about the state of DTK office real estate that the landlord is resorting to renting such a premium building to Conestoga.

Quote:23-121020

Permit is for Phase 1 of the interior alterations to the 1st and 2nd floors, to create classrooms and collaboration space, including rough-in on the 3rd floor for Conestoga College.
Not surprising. Downtown Kitchener is still a desolate dump with addicts roaming around all the time, so it's pretty hard to attract offices. I mean look at 345 King...they built that beautiful office building and only have one office tenant if you don't include the bank and Thai food place that will no doubt close down eventually.
(10-15-2023, 12:57 PM)ac3r Wrote: Not surprising. Downtown Kitchener is still a desolate dump with addicts roaming around all the time, so it's pretty hard to attract offices. I mean look at 345 King...they built that beautiful office building and only have one office tenant if you don't include the bank and Thai food place that will no doubt close down eventually.

Why do you participate in this forum? You're clearly totally disconnected from the reality of Kitchener (constant successful new restaurants in DTK), and you just show up to say dumb shit like this. I used to think you were a valuable contributor around here. [Moderator edited]
(10-14-2023, 11:30 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I saw something was finally happening on the upper floors, and.... it's Conestoga College  Huh I can't understand why Conestoga wants a two floors of such a small floorplate, it seems inconsequential next to Market Square, and the spaces Europro could offer them. Also says something dire about the state of DTK office real estate that the landlord is resorting to renting such a premium building to Conestoga.

Quote:23-121020

Permit is for Phase 1 of the interior alterations to the 1st and 2nd floors, to create classrooms and collaboration space, including rough-in on the 3rd floor for Conestoga College.

I think they're actually taking the entire building (other than the first floor), must just be starting work with the first couple floors
(10-15-2023, 01:45 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Why do you participate in this forum? You're clearly totally disconnected from the reality of Kitchener (constant successful new restaurants in DTK), and you just show up to say dumb shit like this. I used to think you were a valuable contributor around here. [Moderator edited]

There's a built in echo chamber feature available. Just go into the User Control Panel on desktop and click the red heart on the left in the Miscellaneous section. This will allow you to only see similar opinions to your own.

Maybe Conestoga College is going for the Starbucks model of campus development? Everywhere, all at once? Or they want their own Velocity-style space? Time will tell!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »