Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Red House
I've passed by the Red House dozens of time and have always wondered what the food was like. I've heard good things, but it never looks busy. Has anyone been there to eat and, if so, how was it?

I was just there the other day for lunch. It is always excellent. Highly recommended for lunch or dinner.
I would say from my many visits that it consistently rates alongside places like Sole, The Bauer Kitchen, Nick and Nat's, and King Street Trio for lunch and dinner. I have never left a meal there feeling anything but fanciful about what I just ate.
I would agree with that and might even put the Red House at the top of that list for those who enjoy a lighter style of cuisine.
I concur with all of the above. A bit pricey for my tastes so only eat there on special occasions.

The place is quite small. Reservations are usually necessary to avoid disappointment. This is especially true at this time of year when there's no outside seating.
I'll put my bias upfront - I know the owner. That said, I love this place. I've never had a bad meal, and if you compare the prices to other similarly higher-end places Uptown, the value is quite exceptional.
I've eaten here three times, and every time was excellent. Good selection of local beers!

My wife and I went to the Red House two weekends ago, and we were eagerly anticipating a great meal, due to all the great things we heard, from this forum and others, but we were disappointed. Service and presentation were great, but sadly the food lacked flavour and, my special, which was a ravioli like dish, was chewy. At nice restaurants, we usually stay for dessert, but we packed it in early. We will wait awhile and try again, but I have to say we were not impressed.
(06-11-2015, 05:57 PM)schooner77 Wrote: My wife and I went to the Red House two weekends ago, and we were eagerly anticipating a great meal, due to all the great things we heard, from this forum and others, but we were disappointed. Service and presentation were great, but sadly the food lacked flavour and, my special, which was a ravioli like dish, was chewy.  At nice restaurants, we usually stay for dessert, but we packed it in early.  We will wait awhile and try again, but I have to say we were not impressed.

That really surprises me - I hope it was just an off night or a poor special and not something more. 
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »