Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Change Kitchener's name back to Berlin?
(11-29-2014, 01:26 PM)jgsz Wrote: Now, if the Region amalgamated into one urban area a 'new' name might be appropriate.

Galt, Hespeler & Preston did that in the 70's and became Cambridge. Does anyone know why that name was chosen or how? 

Preston was originally known as Cambridge Mills.
It was also an alternative to the entire city being known as Galt, which is what the former city of Galt wanted. When Preston and Hespeler refused point blank (and threatened to join Kitchener!) they submitted Blair instead.
I prefer short single syllable names over long tongue twisters that few can spell correctly and are almost impossible to give over the phone. One example is Mississaugua Wink
May, 2016.

To mark the 100th year since Berlin's name was changed to Kitchener I propose that signs be erected on major roads to show the boundaries of Berlin in 1916. 

The Region of Waterloo already has signs that show historic place names.  Here are two examples.

This sign is on Huron Road between Trussler Road and Queen Street.

This sign is on Snyder's Road East near Trussler Road.  (There is a Waldau Crescent that runs off of Trussler Road, just outside Kitchener's city limits.) 

My proposal would see "Berlin" signs at or near the 1916 city limits.  Since I don't have access to a 1916 map I'll use one from 1923 to place the signs.  So the sings to mark the name change would  be erected at:

King Street near Union Street
Waterloo Street and Moore Avenue S.
Victoria Street near Edna Street
Frederick Street and Edna Street
Weber Street E. near Ottawa Street N.
King Street E. near Sheldon Avenue
Courtland Avenue near Bedford Road
Mill Street and Courtland Avenue 
Queen's Boulevard at St. Mary's Hospital 
Highland Road near Belmont Avenue W.
Glasgow Street near Belmont Avenue W.
Union Boulevard near Esson Street

Obviously the list above would have to be fine-tuned to correspond to the 1916 city boundaries.

The signs could look like this:

Or they could look like this:

I believe that signs like this would add a level of interest other Canadian cities lack -- a city within a city.  It would also be an acknowledgement of Kitchener's unique history as we go forward. 

If you like this idea it would be easy enough to do.  It wouldn't cost a lot of money.  Just contact local politicians and see if we can do this for Kitchener's 100th birthday. 
That's an interesting idea.  If it were to happen some of the locations for the signs would have to change.  I'm thinking the one on Union near Esson would have to go since Union goes into Waterloo at that point. 
I seem to recall that there were some signs posted around the boundary of the historic Waterloo centre a few years ago with words similar to "In 19XX the Waterloo town boundary was here". I can't recall seeing them recently, but at the time they looked like they were meant to be permanent fixtures.

(12-06-2014, 01:09 AM)nms Wrote: I seem to recall that there were some signs posted around the boundary of the historic Waterloo centre a few years ago with words similar to "In 19XX the Waterloo town boundary was here".  I can't recall seeing them recently, but at the time they looked like they were meant to be permanent fixtures.

I would hope that the "Berlin" signs (if approved and erected) around the boundary of old Berlin would be permanent.  

This "Berlin" issue keeps resurfacing ever since I've lived in (or near) the Region of Waterloo.  Some people want to rename Kitchener and some are dead opposed to the idea.   So it's interesting that my proposal to put up historical name signs has not met with rage and hostility.  Perhaps these historic signs may be the ticket to end this seemingly endless debate.

These signs would be a win-win situation.  Kitchener would not be renamed and the city's historic past would be acknowledged.  

Any thoughts on this?  Would you be able to live with these historic name signs? 

Most cities, including Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge have in most cases neighbourhood names, often conveyed by the developer at the time. For some of the older neighbourhoods, where no particular name necessarily exists, it would be interesting to see if these historical names could be reapplied.
Love the idea of the dated Berlin signs!
(12-09-2014, 10:27 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(12-06-2014, 01:09 AM)nms Wrote: I seem to recall that there were some signs posted around the boundary of the historic Waterloo centre a few years ago with words similar to "In 19XX the Waterloo town boundary was here".  I can't recall seeing them recently, but at the time they looked like they were meant to be permanent fixtures.

I would hope that the "Berlin" signs (if approved and erected) around the boundary of old Berlin would be permanent.  

This "Berlin" issue keeps resurfacing ever since I've lived in (or near) the Region of Waterloo.  Some people want to rename Kitchener and some are dead opposed to the idea.   So it's interesting that my proposal to put up historical name signs has not met with rage and hostility.  Perhaps these historic signs may be the ticket to end this seemingly endless debate.

These signs would be a win-win situation.  Kitchener would not be renamed and the city's historic past would be acknowledged.  

Any thoughts on this?  Would you be able to live with these historic name signs? 

Ich bin ein Berliner 
(03-05-2015, 09:55 PM)MacBerry Wrote:                                                   Ich bin ein Berliner 

You're a German jelly donut?

[Image: 2078620051_e903a93614-e1338401219872.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9h9wcdaNPbKUWD2JnrI0...ryOt7QPfDN]
(03-05-2015, 11:07 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(03-05-2015, 09:55 PM)MacBerry Wrote:                                                   Ich bin ein Berliner 

You're a German jelly donut?

[Image: 2078620051_e903a93614-e1338401219872.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9h9wcdaNPbKUWD2JnrI0...ryOt7QPfDN]

Many jelly doughnuts gave up their lives to create the body shape I now possess.    Cool

(03-01-2015, 05:34 PM)Canard Wrote: Love the idea of the dated Berlin signs!

Anyone seriously interested in the Berlin to Kitchener name change should read "The Battle for Berlin - Ontario" by W. R. Chadwick.  

[Image: chadwick.jpg]

The book was published by WLU Press in 1992.  If you're not familiar with the story you'll be shocked by the events that led up to the name change.  It's the kind of history that sets Kitchener apart from other Canadian cities.  
Wow! Thanks for that!

By the way, everyone, KPL has several copies: http://encore.kpl.org/iii/encore_kpl/rec...&suite=kpl
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »