Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ION -- Name that train
Personally, I think every train should be named after Thomas the Tank Engine characters.

Ugh... I can see the #1 entry being "trainy mctrainface" or something stupid if it is left to the top votes system without a short list.
(02-24-2018, 11:00 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Ugh... I can see the #1 entry being "trainy mctrainface" or something stupid if it is left to the top votes system without a short list.

Ottawa took care to closely review all submissions, it wasn't a popularity contest. One will be named 'Eh-Train', though...
(02-24-2018, 11:05 PM)BrianT Wrote: The train with Mexican parts should have a Mexican name.

El Mal Fabricado, perhaps?  Wink
See, this is why this should be a thing!!!

How does speaking at regional council work? Is that something that could happen here?

(02-25-2018, 10:32 AM)Canard Wrote: See, this is why this should be a thing!!!

How does speaking at regional council work? Is that something that could happen here?

I think there is a more explanatory page somewhere in the "meetings and minutes" section of the website, but I found this:

https://regionofwaterloo.cioc.ca/record/CND3668

Basically you just call them up and ask to speak on a particular issue, then you show up and get called upon at the meeting. Most issues have no delegations; some have one or two; and occasionally, as with the big LRT vote in 2011 (I think I have the right year), they will schedule a whole evening just to hear delegations on one particular subject. The delegations are part of the webcast so you can actually go in to past meetings and see what people said.
I’m confused about what a delegation is, I guess. I thought it was a member of the public speaking on a topic to council? But the way you have that worded makes me think speaking to the council and a delegation are two different things.

I’d hate to just jump in and be like “blah blah blah, my issue!!” when they’re not talking about anything even remotely related that day.
To Speak as a Delegation to Council or Committee
Any person wishing to appear as a delegation before Council or a Committee must register with the Regional Clerk's Office at 519-575-4400 by 4:30 p.m. on the Monday before the meeting date. 

Note: Any comments addressed to the Regional Clerk or Members of Council by a delegation become part of the public record.

Prior to entering Council Chamber please turn off, or place on a non-audible setting, all cell phones, PDAs, Blackberrys and pagers. 

A Guide to Delegations is available from the Regional Clerk's Office. It provides more detailed and helpful information.

Please select the desired committee for the current agenda/minutes or use the menu on the left hand side. 
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Thanks! So it doesn’t matter if they’re not talking about LRT that day?
I don't think so; i am sure I have seen others present when there was nothing related on the agenda. The clerks will let you know though.

Keep in mind I think individuals get 5min at council meetings, but 10min at committee meetings (and all of council sits on the the sub-committees).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

I only need 2!

Thanks Pheidippides.
Bump.

Big Grin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »