Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ION -- Name that train
Seeing as the ION thread has had a little discussion about the names of various trains in other countries eg Lord Byron, Victor Hugo. I suspect it isn't a leap of the imagination to believe our trains may be named as well. Maybe GRT will accept input or run a contest.

I started this thread to toss some names around in anticipation or perhaps spitball what the criteria might be.

I am guessing Abraham Erb and Homer Watson would be easy picks. Who else? Joseph Seagram? WL MacKenzie-King? Helix?

Thayendanegea (Joseph Brant), A.R. Kaufman, Sir Adam Beck, Edna Staebler, Mel Brown
John Galt, Dom Cardillo

If living people qualify: Lennox Lewis, Lisa LaFlamme
(11-22-2014, 11:48 PM)KevinL Wrote: John Galt, Dom Cardillo

If living people qualify: Lennox Lewis, Lisa LaFlamme

No living people, I think.

Other than a brief visit, did John Galt have anything to do with the Region?
(11-22-2014, 11:54 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Other than a brief visit, did John Galt have anything to do with the Region?

Whoops! I seem to have confused his role in founding Guelph with that of Galt (reasonable mistake).
Gerald Hagey, Ira G. Needles and Wes Graham

Living: Mike Lazaridis
+1 on Mike Lazaridis, that was my first thought, too.

The Kraut Line.
-Klaus Woerner (founder of ATS)
-William Lyon Mackenzie King (10th PM of Canada)

Lost of other suggestions here
Zehr train after the founders of Zehrs. Emroy Zehr & sons Lester and Clifford Zehr, it also works for Carl Zehr since he had a big part in making The LRT reality. Z train might be good too Z for both Zehr and Zeller.
(11-23-2014, 12:34 AM)KevinL Wrote: Whoops! I seem to have confused his role in founding Guelph with that of Galt (reasonable mistake).

Who is John Galt? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Louis Breithaupt would be my top pick, it would honour several important figures with the same first and surname.
While obviously contentious, I think there's something to be considered for naming trains after living figures. Thinking of RIM, Perimeter, IQC, etc, Mike Lazaridis is a great name for investment in and belief in our region. When I'm a visitor to a small town, seeing a name of a historic figure from days gone by doesn't draw me in, or if I am looking to be drawn into the world of these historic figures, I'm not looking to do it best by a name on a train.

But when I'm a visitor to town and my mind is still taking stock of places I'd live/invest in future, when I'm a student who still thinks this is just a university or bedroom community, seeing big well-known names of the present, ones that have either gone on from Waterloo to do great things, or came here later in life to do the same (or did great things here and have always lived here), that is more likely to connect with me, and actively engage my mind in the possibilities of today and tomorrow.
There are currently over 400 inductees into the Waterloo Region Hall of Fame so that might be a good place to start.  

On the other hand, why not name each train after a Regional Councilor that voted for the project?  That way, praise or wraith can continue to be heaped on the politicians long after they have retired themselves.

If the trains are to be named, I would like to see one called Berlin. Actually, if it's not too late, one of the stops (Young or Benton) should be called Berlin.
(11-24-2014, 04:41 PM)jgsz Wrote: If the trains are to be named, I would like to see one called Berlin.  Actually, if it's not too late, one of the stops (Young or Benton) should be called Berlin.

Any word on if stops will be given "names"
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »