Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canard? Not Duck?
Wink 
Are you changing things up or going elite and snooty by flexing your french muscles? 

(11-19-2014, 08:36 PM)Drake Wrote: Are you changing things up or going elite and snooty by flexing your french muscles? 

So the stats say that something like 2% of Ontarians actually speak French but there seem to be more than that around here. I hear Quebecois accents from time to time. And then there are Quebec allophones like me.
I'm not sure what stats you were looking at, but 4%-5% of Ontarians are Francophones. Locally, the percentage might be 2%, I don't know, although you do hear people speaking French upon occasion. I have noticed that the local Francophone association has become more active lately.
I'm sure lots of Quebecers end up in KW for the good tech jobs. The pay is higher than in the Montreal region, the taxes are lower and the cost of living is no where near Toronto. Also, Quebecers get to leave behind the terribly divisive language politics. I left Quebec in 2008 and the only regret I have is that my family is so far away. I am an Anglophone so I had even more incentive to leave.
(11-19-2014, 08:36 PM)Drake Wrote: Canard? Not Duck?

Well Drake was already taken. 

And what's with the avatar? I've never seen a duck of either gender that looks like that.

[Image: drakeanat.jpg]
(11-20-2014, 09:25 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm not sure what stats you were looking at, but 4%-5% of Ontarians are Francophones.  Locally, the percentage might be 2%, I don't know, although you do hear people speaking French upon occasion.  I have noticed that the local Francophone association has become more active lately.

You're right. 4.4% of Ontarians are French mother tongue as of the 2011 census. A higher number claim to be able to speak French (although I'm not sure what the actual number is). I just got 2% off the top of my head.

(0.3% of Ontarians report speaking "French only" and 10.9% report speaking "English and French".)

(11-20-2014, 10:12 AM)JoeKW Wrote: I'm sure lots of Quebecers end up in KW for the good tech jobs.  The pay is higher than in the Montreal region, the taxes are lower and the cost of living is no where near Toronto.  Also, Quebecers get to leave behind the terribly divisive language politics.  I left Quebec in 2008 and the only regret I have is that my family is so far away. I am an Anglophone so I had even more incentive to leave.

One thing I noticed is that there seem to be a lot more people who immigrate to the KW region vs Montreal. But that may be also an issue of the population that one talks to most.

At the risk of getting off topic, it may be the case that Marois was the last gasp of language politics for the near future. I think that both the PLQ and the CAQ don't really want to talk about it, and the PQ is not doing so well in polls.

Americans move around all the time. Flights are also way cheaper in the States. Compared to that, Montreal-KW isn't that far, although there is no convenient flight option (after Bearskin gave up on us). I think Canadians just don't migrate around the country nearly as much. It's a bit more provincial that way.
(11-20-2014, 10:54 AM)plam Wrote:
(11-20-2014, 09:25 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm not sure what stats you were looking at, but 4%-5% of Ontarians are Francophones.  Locally, the percentage might be 2%, I don't know, although you do hear people speaking French upon occasion.  I have noticed that the local Francophone association has become more active lately.

You're right. 4.4% of Ontarians are French mother tongue as of the 2011 census. A higher number claim to be able to speak French (although I'm not sure what the actual number is). I just got 2% off the top of my head.

(0.3% of Ontarians report speaking "French only" and 10.9% report speaking "English and French".)

(11-20-2014, 10:12 AM)JoeKW Wrote: I'm sure lots of Quebecers end up in KW for the good tech jobs.  The pay is higher than in the Montreal region, the taxes are lower and the cost of living is no where near Toronto.  Also, Quebecers get to leave behind the terribly divisive language politics.  I left Quebec in 2008 and the only regret I have is that my family is so far away. I am an Anglophone so I had even more incentive to leave.

One thing I noticed is that there seem to be a lot more people who immigrate to the KW region vs Montreal. But that may be also an issue of the population that one talks to most.

At the risk of getting off topic, it may be the case that Marois was the last gasp of language politics for the near future. I think that both the PLQ and the CAQ don't really want to talk about it, and the PQ is not doing so well in polls.

Americans move around all the time. Flights are also way cheaper in the States. Compared to that, Montreal-KW isn't that far, although there is no convenient flight option (after Bearskin gave up on us). I think Canadians just don't migrate around the country nearly as much. It's a bit more provincial that way.

That would be particularly true of francophone Quebeckers. 

Re language politics, wouldn't you expect things to perk up again, if it's politically useful, when Peladeau wins the next provincial election? 

(11-20-2014, 11:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-20-2014, 10:54 AM)plam Wrote: I think Canadians just don't migrate around the country nearly as much. It's a bit more provincial that way.

That would be particularly true of francophone Quebeckers. 

Re language politics, wouldn't you expect things to perk up again, if it's politically useful, when Peladeau wins the next provincial election? 

By the way, Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge is 1.4% mother tongue French or English+French. So I guess the number from the top of my head may have come from there.

Quebec anglos and allos are everywhere. A lot of my (English) high school class is not in Montreal now (hi!) Ottawa seems pretty popular, along with some in Seattle and presumably some in Silicon Valley, although actually I can't think of any.

47% of Quebecois claim English or English + French spoken. Not sure how many would be comfortable working in English, though. But that should still be a substantial number of people who could move. As a percentage, though, it's not that high if you dilute it in the population of Ontarians. (94% of Quebecois claim French or French+English spoken).

As for Peladeau: it's one thing to be a billionaire and run a media company. It's another thing to win the leadership of the PQ, and that's much less challenging than running the PQ ("fractious"). And then there's the getting elected thing. So I think there are a lot of barriers to Peladeau being elected premier. I could be wrong though.
I think it's very true that Canadians do not move around the country nearly so much as Americans. Americans are famed for their mobility- the census bureau finds that 59% of Americans live in the state of their birth. I'm guessing it would be a lot higher for Canadians (and Midwesterners in the States are more likely to live in their home state).
(11-20-2014, 10:30 AM)ookpik Wrote:
(11-19-2014, 08:36 PM)Drake Wrote: Canard? Not Duck?

Well Drake was already taken. 

And what's with the avatar? I've never seen a duck of either gender that looks like that.

[Image: drakeanat.jpg]

Ha! I never even thought of that. Drake was my dog's name. He was a beagle Smile
Drake the Beagle.  My niece has a Chihuahua named Ross.  I used to own a Basset Hound named Diego.

Best dog/name fit I've encountered recently was with a local English Bulldog named Harley.
Okay, what the heck is this thread about??? What is going on!
(11-20-2014, 07:38 PM)Markster Wrote: Okay, what the heck is this thread about??? What is going on!

General and off-topic discussion, right?

The perfect place for canards!
Whoah, I'm not sure how to take this thread - a bit creeped out or light-hearted fun?

I've always been either Canard or Duck on any forum I post to.  No stepping-on-toes intended with "Drake" being a member here already.

The avatar is of Canard, a character from the Mighty Ducks Animated Series.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »