Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UW Engineering 7 | 7fl | U/C

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(11-01-2014, 11:09 PM)rangersfan Wrote:
UW Engineering VII
Developer:
Architect: Perkins+Will
Project: The new $88-million Engineering 7 building will include a 3D printing (also called additive manufacturing) lab and a two-storey aerial robotics testing facility.
The seven-storey, 230,000-square-foot building will allow the faculty to accommodate growth from the new biomedical engineering program and an expanded mechatronics engineering program.

[Image: EkEPw1W.png]

Location source

[Image: tQdDV9G.png]

York University continues to expand with the recent addition of the Bergeron Centre for Engineering Excellence

A unique/different style of architecture that makes the boxes on many other Ontario university campuses look boring and bland forever... 

[Image: EDDp3q5.jpg]
(04-13-2016, 09:16 PM)MacBerry Wrote: York University continues to expand with the recent addition of the Bergeron Centre for Engineering Excellence

A unique/different style of architecture that makes the boxes on many other Ontario university campuses look boring and bland forever...

While the UW engineering buildings are not known for their daring architecture, there are less drab buildings on campus, too.  The Science Teaching Complex and the Quantum Nano Building both are interesting, and the Hagey Hall addition is a good way to add interest to the existing building.  Further back in history, there is the Davis Centre, not really my favourite but definitely not a box.
Don't forget MC and PAS. Not to everyone's taste and certainly bunker-like, but definitely not a box either.
Well, MC is a cube  Smile but I do agree that it's not boring, it's just extreme brutalism!

I always thought that this was supposed to be a twin of the other building (#5), but it is already 1 floor taller and looks to be adding another (perhaps just mechanical stuff on top now). I guess it is the perspective in the render that is throwing me off.

I think #5 and #6 were six storeys and this was going to be 7. Going by today it looked like the project has topped out.
From a few days ago:

Sure enough, it's a storey taller. I guess they found a few million dollars under the sofa cushions.

My comment was that, at a quick glance, the render's perspective made it look the same height. Looking carefully and back and the other materials it was always supposed to be taller.
The render in the first post looks like it's just 6 storeys to me!

[Image: EkEPw1W.png]
Hard to know for sure, but this would hardly be the first UW building to end up taller than it's original design indicated.

It wouldn't even be the first to end up taller without being added onto. It wouldn't even be the first this decade.
These just all blend together. I liked the first one, but now #3? Blah

I hadn't gone back to the first page in quite some time, but there is definitely something wrong with the render on the first post.

The sky bridge to the future E6 seems to be connecting to E7 and not E5, and there seems to be half a floor missing (if you count 2 glass panels per floor).

In retrospect I don't know why I am so surprised by the additional floor, the thread title say 7 floors and all the press release materials say 7 floors.

Here is another render of a very similar scene and perspective, but even this one, at a quick glance could leave you to think they are both the same size unless you stop to count the floors:

You have blown my mind.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »