Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Mall Retail (Cambridge Centre, Conestoga, Fairview)
Sears lol?

(02-09-2016, 10:21 PM)neonjoe Wrote: Sears lol?

lol
There aren't many tenants who could use that space. Simons would be the best candidate but they are slow and methodical, I doubt Waterloo has the volume and clientele to satisfy them. The other anchor tenants are either on the brink of bankruptcy or too upscale for this mall (Like Saks).
My bet is that if the space isn't split up by the end of 2016, Saks Off 5th will open up in the old Target space within the next couple years.
"Saks has previously said it plans to open as many as 25 Canadian locations for its lower priced Saks Off 5th chain by 2019."
With discussion on the ION thread about the transit terminal relocation at Fairview Park Mall and owner Cadillac Fairview being "unwilling to negotiate" (Regional Coun. Tom Galloway's words), I feel there may be a very possible reason, and that discussion should continue in this thread.

I know from a source that Cadillac Fairview is currently pursuing preliminary discussions to relocate Walmart to a new standalone store in the northeast corner of the property (think Kingsway Drive and Highway 8 parking area). This would technically count as an expansion to the mall with the addition of new floor space for a new Walmart store, and require new parking be provided as per the City's Zoning By-law. Putting one and two together, some of this new parking would go where the existing transit terminal outside Hudsons Bay is. Cadillac Fairview is likely assessing where additional parking would be added, and especially if they sold off some parking space already to the Region for ION, this makes a bit of sense.
Ugh, parking minimums! This is why we can't have nice things.
(03-19-2016, 11:22 AM)The85 Wrote: With discussion on the ION thread about the transit terminal relocation at Fairview Park Mall and owner Cadillac Fairview being "unwilling to negotiate" (Regional Coun. Tom Galloway's words), I feel there may be a very possible reason, and that discussion should continue in this thread.

I know from a source that Cadillac Fairview is currently pursuing preliminary discussions to relocate Walmart to a new standalone store in the northeast corner of the property (think Kingsway Drive and Highway 8 parking area). This would technically count as an expansion to the mall with the addition of new floor space for a new Walmart store, and require new parking be provided as per the City's Zoning By-law. Putting one and two together, some of this new parking would go where the existing transit terminal outside Hudsons Bay is. Cadillac Fairview is likely assessing where additional parking would be added, and especially if they sold off some parking space already to the Region for ION, this makes a bit of sense.

That's good to hear. The current Walmart is just plain awful, it looks like its going to fall apart any minute.

I'm not sure why Cadillac Fairview would want a free-standing Walmart sucking customers away from the mall. What am I not understanding?
Maybe they want a Saks or Simons there instead. The trend in malls has been to go upscale rather than mid or low end in recent years.
Saks is a non-starter, as would be a Nordstroms. A Simons would be very cool, however.
I wonder if HBC would consider moving to a new store where the existing Walmart is. Their current store has seen better days, both inside and out.
I think regardless one of the three main malls needs to expand and establish itself as the dominant regional mall in the area. I think it makes sense for it to be Fairview Park if they can shuffle Walmart out and rebuild on that space and maybe build a parking garage with retail on top.
(03-19-2016, 05:14 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm not sure why Cadillac Fairview would want a free-standing Walmart sucking customers away from the mall.  What am I not understanding?

Remember Walmart has options too. They are not apparently willing to close the old site and then try and win back lost business. 

I see  Cadillac-Fairview and Walmart, at this location, as a symbiotic relationship. They both want and need each other. 

Walmart could move location which would be an even bigger blow to C-F than if they build a stand alone unit on Cadillac-Fairview property. Walmart will pay for their own building but C-F gets a long term property lease.

Along with the change will come dual customers.

How come KW doesn't have a Zara?
Cadillac Fairview is clearly investing in London, the same cannot be said in KW.

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/03/29/london...-additions
That does bode well for Fairview Park though. In my experience Masonville was probably the more dominant mall in London and it looks like CF is making it into a larger, regional mall. One thing I will note is that London appears to get many more national and Toronto area chains than Waterloo Region. Perhaps market researchers look at the size of the city and compare it to the smaller size of our cities not taking into account the much larger metropolitan area we have. Anyone else notice this trend?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »