Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cineplex Fairway Rd
Cineplex 
225 Fairway Rd, Kitchener 
Website
Developer:
Architect:
Project: The 11 screen 43,000-square-foot theatre will have more than 2,000 seats.

[Image: 7DiiW0m.png]

Current site conditions

[Image: pxDcHmT.png]

Drinking at the movies
October 24, 2012 | Jennifer Armel | The Cord | LINK

Quote:Cineplex Entertainment will be starting construction next summer for their new 11-theatre cinema in Kitchener. Three of the theatres will include VIP auditoriums which will be for movie-goers 19 and older. This will be the first cinema to allow the sale and consumption of alcohol in the Waterloo Region.

The theatre, which is being built on Fairway Road across from Fairview Park Mall, will offer patrons the VIP experience where they can purchase alcohol as well as skip lines due to in-seat food and beverage service, reserve seating and indulge in a new menu.

However, the alcohol menu will differ by location. The Kitchener cinema will offer beer, wine, mixed drinks and most types of liquor. Their food menu is more than the traditional popcorn and M&M’s and will include appetizers and sandwiches.

“It’s great because you can watch a movie while having a beer and a burger” said Sara Wilson, assistant for communications and investor relations at Cineplex. “It’s been something that people want to try, it’s something new and something that you can’t really get anywhere else.”

The 43,000-square-foot theatre will have more than 2,000 seats and will be completed sometime in 2014.

“We are pleased to provide our guests in Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge and the surrounding area with access to the VIP experience,” said Ellis Jacob, president and CEO of Cineplex Entertainment in a news release on Oct. 15.

James Howard, a third-year political science student at Wilfrid Laurier University, is looking forward to trying the VIP theatre out. “It will be a new experience and I will probably have a lot more fun watching the movie with a little alcohol in me,” he joked.

Third-year Wilfrid Laurier University student Zackary Stern, offered a different opinion when asked whether or not he would try the new theatre out. “I don’t really associate drinking with going to a movie,” he said.

“Drinking is a social thing and not something you would want to do in a dark movie theatre while trying to enjoy the movie.”

Drinking in theatres may be a concern for some, but when asked about any stories of drunk movie patrons Wilson expressed that she has not heard of that issue as of yet. “We have managers there and staff to deal with that if anything happens. Also, our bartenders are Smartserve certified and do not over serve guests,” she clarified

Ticket prices for this experience have yet to be released for the new Kitchener location. However, other theatres generally charge six to seven dollars on top of the regular ticket price.

Cineplex’s VIP theatres have “proven to be popular and very successful,” said Wilson.

There are currently five locations which offer the VIP Experience — Toronto, Oakville  and London, in Ontario, as well as Coquitlam, British Columbia and Edmonton, Alberta.
Plans still in works for cinema complex on Fairway Road
October 30, 2013 | Terry Pender | Guelph Mercury | LINK

KITCHENER — Cineplex Entertainment remains committed to building an 11-screen cinema at 225 Fairway Rd. S. on land previously occupied by the Waterloo Region Record.

"It's just delayed," said Pat Marshall, spokesperson for Cineplex Entertainment.

Construction of the new theatre complex was to start this past summer and finish in 2014. But the City of Kitchener building control division confirmed that no permits have been issued for the location.

"I don't know what the delay is," said Mike Seiling, the city's top building official.

The property is owned by Toronto-based Cadillac Fairview Corp., which is wholly owned by the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan. Cadillac Fairview did not respond to telephone messages. It also owns Fairview Park mall across the road from the property.

"The landlord is working on the project. They have some broader initiatives they are working on," Marshall said. "We are still committed to the project."

In announcing the plans more than a year ago, the entertainment company said three screens will be inside what it calls VIP auditoriums. The VIP rooms come with larger chairs, tables, alcohol and an expanded menu that includes specialty appetizers as well as traditional movie fare.

In addition to the VIP auditoriums, the theatre complex will have an UltraAVX auditorium with a wall-to-wall screen, digital surround sound, 3D technology, seats with wider backs and larger seats. The UltraAVX rooms will take reservations.

"This is not atypical," Marshall said of the delays. "Whenever there is a larger project with a number of players involved, sometimes the timing moves."

Currently, Cineplex operates VIP auditoriums in Toronto, Oakville, London, Coquitlam, B.C. and Edmonton.
I wonder what effect this will have on Landmark's business.
I can't see this being built. We have a lot of screens in this region already. The time delay etc, doesn't add much to hope. The option of ordering alcohol isn't a big draw for me personally either. That being said, I was recently at a theatre in Nashville and noted they had draft.
Building permits have been applied for... I wasn't thinking this thing would ever get built but in my experience this might just happen... time will tell!
I don't get why they're building the theatre across from fairview mall (both the mall and the proposed cineplex site are owned by Cadillac Fairview) IMO there is tons of room, They should build a parking garage and have cineplex build between Sears and Walmart or build a new walmart supercentre in front of the existing store & cineplex open where walmart currently is.

(11-04-2014, 03:23 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I don't get why they're building the theatre across from fairview mall (both the mall and the proposed cineplex site are owned by Cadillac Fairview) IMO there is tons of room, They should build a parking garage and have cineplex build between Sears and Walmart or build a new walmart supercentre in front of the existing store & cineplex open where walmart currently is.
I've found the problem right here.
Why build an expensive parking garage, when they can just build the theatre on the other side of the street and pave a nice big surface lot? Much cheaper. If they cared about people who take transit, then they'd build a theatre downtown.
(11-04-2014, 04:15 PM)Markster Wrote:
(11-04-2014, 03:23 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I don't get why they're building the theatre across from fairview mall (both the mall and the proposed cineplex site are owned by Cadillac Fairview) IMO there is tons of room, They should build a parking garage and have cineplex build between Sears and Walmart or build a new walmart supercentre in front of the existing store & cineplex open where walmart currently is.
I've found the problem right here.
Why build an expensive parking garage, when they can just build the theatre on the other side of the street and pave a nice big surface lot?  Much cheaper.  If they cared about people who take transit, then they'd build a theatre downtown.

I wonder about that assumption.  Imagine the cost to buy land (say, $1-2M per acre) plus pave a parking lot ($1,500 or so per space).  Then instead of buying land (you already own the land at the mall) and paving, you put that money towards a garage.

Google tells me a garage costs $15,000 or so per space.  Say the land costs $1M, you could build a 65 car garage for that.  Certainly not enough but there is a land cost that would make the garage a better option .... just probably not on fairview.

IMO mega theaters make total sense attached to a mall.
Brick 
I agree Downtown Kitchener should have a movie theatre, but where could a megaplex movie theatre be built, I can think of a few locations but I highly doubt cineplex or Landmark would be willing to purchase or lease any of them. Union and King (Sun Life parking lot) Old King Centre (Where Manulife is) or Market Square.
I think it would make sense for cineplex to be attached to fairview mall because both Conestoga mall and Cambridge Centre have there Cineplex (Galaxy) locations attached/right beside and it would also be more accessible for pedestrians and transit users. 
I wonder if a Walmart across the street would be more popular than one attached to Fairview? If so, take out the existing one and start over at that end. Might be a better fit when you consider Fairview is seemingly going upmarket.
I wonder if more people use transit to get to walmart than the movies... I think Sears is being run into the ground so that space might eventually be vacated if they go into bankruptcy. I dunno if there's room in that corner of the mall for a walmart super center and a cinema but I think when they extend the LRT they will be able to make the area more ped and bike friendly if there's a push to do so... I avoid driving around that part of town if at all possible.

I can't see myself ever going to a cinema like this; I used to sneak tallboys into the movies when I was younger and it really doesn't add much to the movie-watching experience for me.

There appears to be work taking place this week on the Cineplex site on Fairway Rd.
I hope Cineplex or the mall at least builds a pedestrian bridge from the food court to the theatre.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »