Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sage Condominiums II | ?m | 25 fl | U/C
(04-06-2016, 10:13 PM)mpd618 Wrote: I think that's the crux of your point, but it's not obvious to me that mixed-use was a reason for development approval here. Can you elaborate on why you think it was?

Yes, it’s fair to say that’s the crux. And I assume that mixed-usage was a reason for the approval since it is a goal of the neighbourhood plan, the city plan, Places to Grow, and so on. Whether the second-floor commercial was a reason, well, probably not much of one, but I can’t know. Almost by definition, it was a consideration since it was part of the application.

My bottom line is this: mixed-use is desirable generally and particularly in this neighbourhood, and that has been identified in various plans; the development as approved included strong mixed-use components. Given that, the municipality should be diligent in assessing that there really is no market for these approved commercial units, and make sure it is not just a case of the developer preferring residential units which are simply more easily marketable.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sage Condominiums II | ?m | 25 fl | U/C - by MidTowner - 04-07-2016, 08:18 AM