Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Victoria Park
I suspect the issue is that carp are an invasive species not native to North America. We'd probably see other fish and a more balanced ecosystem if they weren't present.

Carp are also bottom-feeders that stir up all the silt on the bottom, according to a limnologist friend they are part of the reason the pond was so gross back in the day. I remember a few years ago when they were doing all the work there was a crew that was catching all the fish and I assume disposing of the the carp but since it's not a closed pond it's pretty easy for them to get back in from upstream or something.
They are an invasive species, yes - they're muscling out the local fish. Apparently some Asian cultures consider them a delicacy, so you could probably make a few bucks catching them.
Cameron's Seafood restaurant is just down the street. Maybe you can make a deal with them.
I'm sure all the bleeding hearts would be all over me if I started hauling all the carp out for people to eat. The VPNA would throw a hissy fit... "the carp are part of our heritage"
They're disrupting the ecosystem and threatening native fish species; you'd probably have a parade thrown in your honour.

Who are the VPNA? All I could find was a parks organization in Australia.
(05-10-2015, 08:22 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Who are the VPNA? All I could find was a parks organization in Australia.

Victoria Park Neighborhood Association. 

(05-10-2015, 05:17 PM)clasher Wrote: I'm sure all the bleeding hearts would be all over me if I started hauling all the carp out for people to eat. The VPNA would throw a hissy fit... "the carp are part of our heritage"

The VPNA has little influence over Victoria Park (other than having helped advocate against postponing the recent dredging and clean-up). There's a separate organization called the Victoria Park Working Group (VPWG) that provides citizen input into the park itself.
I don't think anyone would object to the carp being removed. Maybe an annual fishing derby would help.
It seems that there is a splitting of the Boathouse operators, Forwell is taking over.
http://m.therecord.com/news-story/571681...er-opening
Have people heard about the on-line petition to get the City to stop trying to control the Canada Goose population in Victoria Park? They apparently got 650 signatures in two days this week. I wonder if this could actually influence the City to cancel its control program? Not a goose fan, personally and, in particular, not a fan of goose sh*t!

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6554...ion-flies/
(05-15-2016, 08:58 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Have people heard about the on-line petition to get the City to stop trying to control the Canada Goose population in Victoria Park? They apparently got 650 signatures in two days this week. I wonder if this could actually influence the City to cancel its control program? Not a goose fan, personally and, in particular, not a fan of goose sh*t!

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6554...ion-flies/

I heard about it and I think it's ridiculous. Most of the people on that petition aren't living in Kitchener. The goose crap makes it impossible to sit down in the park and they are aggressive. If the city caves to these bleeding hearts (who probably don't care about all the chickens that die for food) they are going to have a park overrun with geese. More money will have to be spent on the various dog based goose control methods but those only work if the timing is right before they lay the eggs and start nesting. The city should run a bylaw blitz for a month or two and ticket everyone caught feeding the geese, those people exacerbate the problem by providing incentive for the geese. I'd be fine with culling them instead if these petition people are so upset at the thought of the poor geese families being broken up why not send them all to birdie heaven at once.
(05-15-2016, 09:47 AM)clasher Wrote: I heard about it and I think it's ridiculous. Most of the people on that petition aren't living in Kitchener. The goose crap makes it impossible to sit down in the park and they are aggressive. If the city caves to these bleeding hearts (who probably don't care about all the chickens that die for food) they are going to have a park overrun with geese. More money will have to be spent on the various dog based goose control methods but those only work if the timing is right before they lay the eggs and start nesting. The city should run a bylaw blitz for a month or two and ticket everyone caught feeding the geese, those people exacerbate the problem by providing incentive for the geese. I'd be fine with culling them instead if these petition people are so upset at the thought of the poor geese families being broken up why not send them all to birdie heaven at once.

Really we just need a cook-off in the park. We have enough good chefs in town to make it interesting.

(05-15-2016, 12:58 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-15-2016, 09:47 AM)clasher Wrote: I heard about it and I think it's ridiculous. Most of the people on that petition aren't living in Kitchener. The goose crap makes it impossible to sit down in the park and they are aggressive. If the city caves to these bleeding hearts (who probably don't care about all the chickens that die for food) they are going to have a park overrun with geese. More money will have to be spent on the various dog based goose control methods but those only work if the timing is right before they lay the eggs and start nesting. The city should run a bylaw blitz for a month or two and ticket everyone caught feeding the geese, those people exacerbate the problem by providing incentive for the geese. I'd be fine with culling them instead if these petition people are so upset at the thought of the poor geese families being broken up why not send them all to birdie heaven at once.

Really we just need a cook-off in the park. We have enough good chefs in town to make it interesting.

Local free-range goose for all!
It' tricky to cook well, it's a very fatty meat on top of its gaminess.

But if you can render off the grease, it does do wonders for frying potatoes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »