Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo Costco
(10-27-2014, 10:03 AM)JoeKW Wrote: Yeah, that was the same thought I had.  Every Costco I've been to has had way more parking than this and could use more.  Are there any adjoining lots that they may be able to grab over time?

I didn't do a very good job, but I overlaid the Kitchener airiel photo on top of the site plan. The parking lots are different configurations, but they look practically identical in the number of spots. Anyone want to count?

[Image: DmIU5n9.jpg]

I drove past today and noted a lot of earth has been moved around. I see heavy equipment on site. Specifically this is across the street from the landfill's gate #1.
Notice of open house re: West Waterloo Commercial Centre (Costco) Transportation Study

Quote:Based on my review, I support the staff position that the Costco uses (warehouse and gas bar) be permitted to go ahead with a holding provision kept for the remaining uses on the WWCC site.

Apparently everything is A-OK regarding the traffic concerns. I'm still concerned about lineups for the garbage dump being an issue, it's already kind of an issue during the summer weekends.
Region, Waterloo reach deal with Costco developer
Waterloo Region Record
By Paige Desmond

WATERLOO — A Costco on the west side of Waterloo is expected to go ahead after a settlement at the Ontario Municipal Board — but not until road improvements have been completed to deal with traffic concerns.

"We get some certainty on road improvements prior to Costco opening and the other good news is Costco will be opening and bringing good jobs," Mayor Dave Jaworsky said.

The project now hinges on when the Region of Waterloo can build two roundabouts on Erb.

"Once Costco is ready to start on this, we would then work with them on getting those roundabouts constructed," said Thomas Schmidt, regional commissioner of transportation and environmental services. "Just given the time of year and the amount of work that would need to be done, construction this year would be stretching it."

Schmidt said next year is a more likely construction start date.

Costco can start construction of its warehouse store and gas bar at 924 and 930 Erb St. W., but can't actually open until the roadwork is done.

The city, region and Rice Group, which represents the developer, negotiated the agreement and submitted it to the Ontario Municipal Board on Wednesday.

The board decides land planning disputes. The issue landed there after the developer appealed several conditions the city imposed regarding traffic when it gave conditional approval last year.

Rob Horne, commissioner of planning, housing and community services at the region, said that government's main concern was the local landfill.

"Our two interests are traffic on regional roads and also access and egress to the Waterloo landfill," Horne said.

The region and developer will share the cost of the road improvements, according to the negotiated document.

Additional development of new stores at the Costco site will have to wait until a more fulsome transportation study is completed by the city, according to the agreement.

A traffic review released in March suggested traffic would be manageable near the site, however the city will continue with its detailed study.

The current plan would study everything west of, and including, Erbsville Road and Ira Needles Boulevard, with potential extension into Kitchener and Township of Wilmot.

Issues would include funding, road network expansion south of Erb, land use and phasing options for the west side employment lands and working with the Region of Waterloo and other municipalities on roads the city doesn't own.
Is the plan to go to 4 lanes on Ira Needles all the way to Erb? I hope so.
I've never understood the concept of paying to shop.
(05-17-2015, 06:32 PM)Canard Wrote: I've never understood the concept of paying to shop.

It might seem counter-intelligent, but it is possible to save money by paying to shop at Costco. Most retail stores mark up by 100% or more. Costco is 15%. There are many articles out there about Costco and their business practices that explain some benefits to shopping there.

However, if you're not a disciplined shopper Costco is one of the worst places to shop because everything there seems like a good idea at the time. Smile

Not to mention that if you purchase enough at Costco (as my wife and I do) - we actually get our membership paid for (and then some) through the cash back program.
Between that, the superior quality/value of most products, their amazing return policy (right down to the membership itself), it's an absolute no brainer for us.
Does anyone know if work has begun on the actual store? I have not been out that way in awhile.
I was out there yesterday and from what I could see was they were still preparing the site. Did not look like much else was happening... I was driving though so I may have missed something
Quote: The project now hinges on when the Region of Waterloo can build two roundabouts on Erb.

I haven't seen any chat on this board about these two roundabouts on Erb. Where are they going? Aside from the part marked as a lighted intersection on the diagram, I don't see anywhere West of the Beer Store that'd warrant one, let alone two.

...but when they go in can they be gigantically over-sized like the Sybase one? Pretty please?
The roundabouts would be at the entrances to the complex, I believe. West of Ira Needles.
(07-21-2015, 11:54 AM)Markster Wrote: The roundabouts would be at the entrances to the complex, I believe.  West of Ira Needles.

I also believe that the roundabouts are to align with the landfill entrances as well, so that they serve a dual purpose. 

How on earth is the roundabout at Erb and Ira Needles going to handle the extra traffic generated by the new Costco? Cars back up to ridiculous lengths any time volume increases, especially with all the people exiting onto Erbsville from the Canadian Tire parking lot. I am really having a hard time understanding how putting a couple roundabouts in front of the landfill will improve this.
(11-16-2015, 10:30 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: How on earth is the roundabout at Erb and Ira Needles going to handle the extra traffic generated by the new Costco? Cars back up to ridiculous lengths any time volume increases, especially with all the people exiting onto Erbsville from the Canadian Tire parking lot. I am really having a hard time understanding how putting a couple roundabouts in front of the landfill will improve this.

I think the extra roundabouts will calm the traffic heading Eastbound into the Erb@Ira traffic circle. Doesn't help with inflow, though. Costco is a traffic sink as much as a source.

But you're right, Northbound and Southbound traffic alone on weekends is enough to slow everything down at that one circle. More than a lighted intersection? I don't have any data for that. I'm never there during rush, but I can only imagine the E <-> W traffic doesn't do it any favours, either.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »