Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo Costco
(08-19-2016, 11:14 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-19-2016, 10:06 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: This can't happen soon enough; the Kitchener store is such a nightmare I find myself driving to Guelph just to stay away from the chaos.

Indeed, Waterloo deserves its own chaos!  Wink

And chaos ot will be. the traffic will be nightmarish for sure !!

Costco has now confirmed that the Waterloo store will be opening in October.

http://www.costco.ca/new-locations.html
(08-19-2016, 10:06 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: This can't happen soon enough; the Kitchener store is such a nightmare I find myself driving to Guelph just to stay away from the chaos.

Do you think it will alleviate traffic all that much?  I can see it being for the most part, just as bad.
It'll help somewhat -- certainly Costco won't double their K-W customer base overnight, so there will be fewer customers per store for at least some time.
(09-05-2016, 03:43 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It'll help somewhat -- certainly Costco won't double their K-W customer base overnight, so there will be fewer customers per store for at least some time.

Agreed, I'd have to think that spreading the customer base between two stores should calm things down a bit.
Photo 
Pic from this past weekend

Attached Files Image(s)

I like the idea of a second Costco. I have a hard time accepting this location is a good idea. Perhaps it is because I live on the east side of Waterloo. I find the entire Boardwalk area isolated feeling, the traffic is not friendly and then there is that smell...

I am curious to see how this works out.

(09-07-2016, 05:53 AM)Drake Wrote: I like the idea of a second Costco. I have a hard time accepting this location is a good idea. Perhaps it is because I live on the east side of Waterloo. I find the entire Boardwalk area isolated feeling, the traffic is not friendly and then there is that smell...

I am curious to see how this works out.

I think it will do well; i'm fairly certain there is some pent up demand from Waterloo residents who don't want to make the trek to Sportsworld or Guelph, myself included. Costco is also one company that seems to do their homework when choosing locations. I'm not certain i've ever seen a Costco location close!
I may be part of that pent-up demand. When we visit our parents (who seem to love the place and are immune to the crowds), we sometimes will go to Costco to do a shop, but I've been to Sportsworld and can't bring myself to pay someone for the privilege of driving all that way and contending with the crowds. Forget about going all the way to Guelph just to shop.

If the Waterloo location is a bit more civilized (at least at first), maybe we'll get a membership. I would imagine there are a lot of people in Waterloo with a similar mindset.
Costco's web site now lists the Waterloo location opening in October.

http://www.costco.com/new-locations.html
I have heard that October 21st is the opening date.
Costco Waterloo set to open on November 8th

http://www.570news.com/2016/10/13/costco...ember-8th/
The Waterloo Costco is now officially open. They had the CTV news crew there, along with dignitaries such as Region of Waterloo Chair Ken Seiling. I found that it was spacious and the layout is the exact opposite of the Kitchener store. I'm hoping it will change my shopping experience as I find the Kitchener store crowded with rude people that appear to be in a hurry. Let's hope the rude one's stay in Kitchener. Big Grin

How was traffic? I know that's a concern I have with that development.
(11-08-2016, 10:07 AM)chutten Wrote: How was traffic? I know that's a concern I have with that development.
Traffic was busy , but flowing rather smoothly from both directions. But then again it was 8:00am and there wasn't too much truck traffic to the Landfill.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »