Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph
(10-30-2018, 11:55 AM)jamincan Wrote: It seems as well based on the painted median, that they had room to work with if they had actually given a damn.

That painted median is a placeholder for the left turn lane to the future Wellington connector.  You can see this connector in the diagram @Markster provided way back in post #49:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=242]

I just drove the expressway northbound and I saw that the southbound express lanes were closed with traffic backed up almost to University Ave. My best guess is that they're taking down the scaffolding and form work over the southbound express lanes, as they've already done in the northbound collectors. I would have thought they'd do that in the middle of the night, not in the middle of a Friday...
They have been progressively removing bits and pieces of it over the last little while, yeah! My guess is it will take several weeks, very carefully removing bits at a time. It is curious that they chose to start doing it in one of the sections at rush hour, but they may have a timeline/deadline to get it all down by, and it had to happen eventually...
I like how the new Bridge has 'Victoria' embossed into the concrete. Heading north you can see it on the far right of the bridge.
I'll have to watch for that on the weekend sometime! It's dark when I leave and dark when I come home from work so it's hard for me to see these things. Sad That sounds awesome!
(11-09-2018, 01:23 PM)KevinT Wrote: I just drove the expressway northbound and I saw that the southbound express lanes were closed with traffic backed up almost to University Ave.  My best guess is that they're taking down the scaffolding and form work over the southbound express lanes, as they've already done in the northbound collectors.  I would have thought they'd do that in the middle of the night, not in the middle of a Friday...

I drive that stretch between 1am and 3am.  This week they had north and southbound lanes closed but were not removing any of the support steel below the Victoria St. bridge.  They were actually doing repairs on the railway bridge.  Some evenings they'd have the express lanes closed other evenings they have the collector lane closed.
(11-10-2018, 02:29 PM)sevenman Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 01:23 PM)KevinT Wrote: I just drove the expressway northbound and I saw that the southbound express lanes were closed with traffic backed up almost to University Ave.  My best guess is that they're taking down the scaffolding and form work over the southbound express lanes, as they've already done in the northbound collectors.  I would have thought they'd do that in the middle of the night, not in the middle of a Friday...

I drive that stretch between 1am and 3am.  This week they had north and southbound lanes closed but were not removing any of the support steel below the Victoria St. bridge.  They were actually doing repairs on the railway bridge.  Some evenings they'd have the express lanes closed other evenings they have the collector lane closed.

Lots of activity on my drive overnight with a lot of heavy machinery present.  Looked like almost all of the support steel was removed under the span between the northbound expressway and the eastern-most bridge abutment where the new temporary northbound on-ramp from Bruce St. will pass.

Are there any good pictures that are a little more zoomed out so I can get perspective on this hwy?

Sorry, can't go through 43 pages of history.
The project website is probably a good place to start: https://newhighway7.ca/

The very first page of this thread has some more diagrams as well.
(11-20-2018, 12:48 PM)highlander Wrote: The project website is probably a good place to start: https://newhighway7.ca/

And on page 4 of this thread (link below) is the diagram of how specifically it will meet the expressway, Victoria, Bruce, Edna area.

http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...75#pid8675
Anyone know what the current status is? The clearing/fencing seemed to have happened this Spring/Summer but not sure what else is going on right now other than the Victoria / Wellington work.
Supposedly the Grand River bridges near Bingemans are going to start construction next year. Still no date on the actual highway.

Have designs been approved (or even submitted) yet?
(11-20-2018, 04:35 PM)SammyOES Wrote: Have designs been approved (or even submitted) yet?

I believe for the bridge yes...I recall seeing them and thinking...welp there goes yet another missed opportunity for bike infra.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »