Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph
(03-29-2018, 12:51 PM)JCnb Wrote:
(03-29-2018, 12:44 PM)Canard Wrote: Awesome, thank you!!

The signs say the left lane of the collectors is closed until November.

I couldn't tell driving through but the ramp closures at Wellington seemed unnecessary for the Victoria bridge work unless they are starting to re-configure the ramps into their ultimate configuration? Wish I knew what the current construction contract scope was!

https://511on.ca/list/constructionprojec...ghway%2085

..Last updated about a week ago.  A map sure would would help because if someone were to describe "Wellington Street N-E/W Southbound off-ramp (Wednesday 22:00 to approximately September 2018)" I suppose time-wise that means yesterday but for someone coming from out of town (or even in town), good luck figuring that out.

Unless I've missed an announcement, the work this summer will consist of the ongoing projects around Victoria, Wellington and the 85 interchange, plus clearing and fencing along the full route. Detailed design of the Grand River bridge is also underway. But no word on contracts for actual construction of the highway and bridges. Completion date is currently unscheduled.

With a provincial election getting underway, I expect to see another announcement in the coming weeks or months. I hope it is the full construction contract.

Some limited info is on newhighway7.ca
Looks like the forms for the new support posts of the Victoria St bridge are in on the sides of the highway. Nothing in the middle yet, though.
I always assumed that "SOME" work on the Highway 7 was going to be done at the same time as Victoria St, and justify why I cant use the 85 ramps off of Wellington/Shirley/Bingeman Centre.... but as each day goes by, I am reminded that we will have another closure (likely in the near future) so that they can begin flyover work.

Its a shame they didn't do this at the same time... Sad

Coke
It's truly unfortunate that the Bruce extension wasn't built first. Having another route from Wellington/Shelley to Victoria would have been a big help.
Why wasn't it?
Because common sense has no place in most government decisions?

Coke

(06-04-2018, 10:08 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: I always assumed that "SOME" work on the Highway 7 was going to be done at the same time as Victoria St, and justify why I cant use the 85 ramps off of Wellington/Shirley/Bingeman Centre.... but as each day goes by, I am reminded that we will have another closure (likely in the near future) so that they can begin flyover work.

Coke

Agreed.  But to look on the bright side, those ramps will hopefully be open in another couple months, right?  November isn't that far away, Confused no wait, it is.  Maybe that will give them some time to do the Highway 7 work.

Which "another closure" are you thinking of?  I'm constantly in/around/through there and it would be nice to know what to expect (instead of surprise gridlock).
A few shots from the Victoria bridge area this past weekend.

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-04-2018, 06:21 PM)embe Wrote:
(06-04-2018, 10:08 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: I always assumed that "SOME" work on the Highway 7 was going to be done at the same time as Victoria St, and justify why I cant use the 85 ramps off of Wellington/Shirley/Bingeman Centre.... but as each day goes by, I am reminded that we will have another closure (likely in the near future) so that they can begin flyover work.

Coke

Agreed.  But to look on the bright side, those ramps will hopefully be open in another couple months, right?  November isn't that far away, Confused no wait, it is.  Maybe that will give them some time to do the Highway 7 work.

Which "another closure" are you thinking of?  I'm constantly in/around/through there and it would be nice to know what to expect (instead of surprise gridlock).

I have no insight... but I am expecting additional closures for the conduction of the flyovers and ramps for 7NEW, delays for the extension of Bruce to wellington, delays for the reconfiguring of Riverbend, etc....

Coke
(06-06-2018, 12:29 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: …, delays for the reconfiguring of Riverbend, etc....

Does anybody know if they’re still planning to re-route Riverbend so it meets Shirley further east? It seems like a very strange thing to do — the single combined intersection of Wellington, Shirley, Riverbend, and the little dead-end curve of Shirley as it is now works fine. I don’t see how it would be an improvement at all to split it up into 2 3-way intersections.
It's still the plan, yes.

I presume there were strong reasons why they chose to do what they did.
Here's the map again.
I'm guessing that to keep the 4-way intersection in place, they would have had to run the overpasses much longer that in the current plan. Perhaps the natural grade in the area works against it. The stat I recall reading is that the interchange is 1/4 of the cost of the whole highway, so I'm sure they made this compromise to keep the cost down.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=242]
I'm curious how it's going to affect the Walter Bean/Grand River Trail in that area. It's a really lovely area there, and it's a shame that the highway is going to cut straight through it, but I hope they take steps to at least make the natural areas that remain there as accessible as possible. Right now the trails run above the river bluffs, so I expect they might end up being cut-off by the highway without taking active steps to relocate them.

(06-06-2018, 03:31 PM)jamincan Wrote: I'm curious how it's going to affect the Walter Bean/Grand River Trail in that area.

The Initial Design Report document states that they will realign a small section of the Walter Been Trail to accommodate the bridge abutment on the south side of the river.  Also the Grand Valley Trail that runs near Rosendale Creek will be directed to pass beneath the structure.
Noticed today that curbs / sidewalks are in on Victoria from Edna to the new bridge, and the stretch was being paved today.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »