Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph
I wonder what the purpose of that large tube was on the north side of the bridge. My best guess is conduit for smaller utilities, but not fully clear.

(02-24-2018, 12:47 PM)timio Wrote: I wonder what the purpose of that large tube was on the north side of the bridge.  My best guess is conduit for smaller utilities, but not fully clear.

It was a conduit for utilities.  That is what they have been doing the large excavations on the north side of the bridge for as they directionally drilled under the highway last year.
If you haven't gone already, I suggest you go now!  The bridge is now down, and they're in haul-away mode.

1/1 - Saturday, February 24, 2018

By 1:30pm, the centre portion of the bridge was gone, with Excavators on the ground working to chew through the wreckage.

RIP: 1969-2018

Like a pride of lions devouring the flesh of a felled gazelle, the Victoria Street bridge is nothing more than a carcass of rebar and crumbled concrete at the mercy of a slew of excavators.

They really are just devouring it.
(02-24-2018, 12:47 PM)timio Wrote: I wonder what the purpose of that large tube was on the north side of the bridge.  My best guess is conduit for smaller utilities, but not fully clear.

When I was young I assumed shoes traveled along those tubes
(02-24-2018, 03:52 PM)Brenden Wrote: When I was young I assumed shoes traveled along those tubes

This is officially my favourite post ever on this site. Big Grin

It was a water main, as discussed earlier in this thread when revealed by a Record article:

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/754...-drags-on/
This morning (last night?) they closed a lane or two on 85 northbound in the construction area. Anyone know for how long?

(03-29-2018, 11:01 AM)avernar Wrote: This morning (last night?) they closed a lane or two on 85 northbound in the construction area.  Anyone know for how long?

I believe the lane closures are until June-ish? Sure was a fun drive to work this morning! False-work for the bridge construction has been offloaded in the past few days, I believe this will be a poured-in-place concrete bridge therefore the form work should be pretty impressive!
Twitter told me it was until at least July.

I hit it last night and really wish they'd at least sign highway exit closures before the neighboring entrances so you can detour before getting on the highway.
Are there any plans or drawings/elevations/images of the bridge design? Now you’ve got me curious, JCnb!
I'm curious about the tree clearing thats been happening along the whole route. I had imagined that they'd be clearing a strip of land from start to finish along the whole route, but now it sort of looks to me that its more like they're clearing individual areas that are then going to be staging areas or starting areas for work.

Does anybody know how these things usually work? Do they start with things like the overpasses and fill in highway later? Do they start at various points and work outwards, start at one end and go to the other, something else entirely?
(03-29-2018, 11:48 AM)Canard Wrote: Are there any plans or drawings/elevations/images of the bridge design? Now you’ve got me curious, JCnb!

http://guelph.ca/wp-content/uploads/Vict...Report.pdf

The Victoria St bridge drawings start at page 84 with an elevation drawing on 86.

http://newhighway7.ca/documents/Hwy_7_Ne...202014.pdf

Second report contains the final design report, starting around page 294 are the plans for the entire length of highway. Is anyone here smart enough and willing to stitch them together in a google earth overlay?
Awesome, thank you!!

The signs say the left lane of the collectors is closed until November.

(03-29-2018, 12:44 PM)Canard Wrote: Awesome, thank you!!

The signs say the left lane of the collectors is closed until November.

I couldn't tell driving through but the ramp closures at Wellington seemed unnecessary for the Victoria bridge work unless they are starting to re-configure the ramps into their ultimate configuration? Wish I knew what the current construction contract scope was!
They had the bridges for 407E built long before asphalt was laid down. Was slightly odd seeing a massive concrete overpass in the middle of a field.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see the larger bridge work projects get started in the next few years (Highway 7/85, Grand River, Hanlon) with the others following shortly thereafter, thus being my guess for the patchy clearing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »