Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph
(01-29-2018, 01:48 PM)SammyOES Wrote: Someone mentioned a few years ago (maybe in this thread) that tree clearing has to happen at certain times of the year for environmental reasons.  Not sure if that's part of it or not.  But I agree, doesn't seem like a great time of year to be doing it.

Based on the MTO contract details, it appears the clearing will wrap up in May.  So most of it will happen in cold weather.  Here are the contract details btw:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/travell...t2017-3022

(01-30-2018, 01:03 PM)jamincan Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 11:02 PM)PAHTDC Wrote: Separate from CTV discussion, can anyone confirm what is happening with Wellington to SB 85 onramps? I thought I saw a sign indicating that the ramp WB wellington to SB 85 will be closed as part of Victoria bridge closure (for same duration). Did I misread, or are there additional ramp closures as well?

In a related thread, I think I heard that the Bruce-NB 85 ramp would be closed for part of the bridge closure as well.

This is posted on MTO construction updates website for this project:  Ramp closures February 5, 2018 until November 2018: Bruce Street north on ramp, north Edna Street off ramp and Wellington Street north west-south on ramp. 

Reference: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/travell...t2017-3013
(02-02-2018, 11:33 AM)p2ee Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 01:03 PM)jamincan Wrote: In a related thread, I think I heard that the Bruce-NB 85 ramp would be closed for part of the bridge closure as well.

This is posted on MTO construction updates website for this project:  Ramp closures February 5, 2018 until November 2018: Bruce Street north on ramp, north Edna Street off ramp and Wellington Street north west-south on ramp. 

Reference: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/travell...t2017-3013

WTF is with these ramps getting closed again until November??  They just opened a couple months ago after being closed for an insanely long time.  Why not complete the Bruce st extension (NB 85 on ramp) beforehand to provide an Alternate? As someone who normally travels this route multiple times a day, these closures (and timing of closures) are frustrating.
The ramps likely have to close because they're demolishing and rebuilding the bridge that they go under.
(02-02-2018, 08:53 PM)Canard Wrote: The ramps likely have to close because they're demolishing and rebuilding the bridge that they go under.

In fairness, they aren't closing down the highway, so there must be someway they can demolish a bridge without closing the road running beneath it.
But they have to carve out the sides and so on to widen it. Which is where the ramps are...
I won't be surprised if we get a weekend closure of the highway at some point to do a big demolition event at the bridge.

The Victoria Street bridge demolition and 24 hour closure of the highway below, is planned for February 10, weather permitting.

So yeah, next weekend.
(02-02-2018, 09:17 PM)Canard Wrote: But they have to carve out the sides and so on to widen it.  Which is where the ramps are...

the ramps are quite a ways back from the bridge itself as they are connected to Edna and Bruce streets and not Victoria itself
The ramps from Bruce and to Edna would be a problem as they almost immediately run under Victoria St. I don't really see why the ramp from Wellington has to close, though, as it has plenty of space to merge before reach Victoria.
It will likely become obvious once the demolition starts. I’m sure they have a reason for closing what are closing, and would only do so if it were absolutely necessary. This isn’t a public trail we’re talking about! Tongue
Guessing here but they probably need that space to setup/install the new abutments.
They also need somewhere for the rubble to go! I suspect they'll quickly put all the demolished bridge in the ramp areas so that they can reopen the highway the following morning. If they didn't close the ramps, they'd have to demolish the bridge and haul it all away overnight. Not happening.

Didn't they demolish and clear the Speedsville Bridge overnight? I know as well that the MTO has done full bridge replacements overnight elsewhere in the province, so they definitely could if they wanted to.
Anything is possible with enough money.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »