Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph
Any time frame on this recent work? Yeah the southbound collector has basically lost a lane (Wellington exit ramp lane not clearly marked and dodgy at best). Tried Lancaster a couple times today and it's a toss-up.

The retaining wall work by the Saab dealership (Victoria) seems substantial, driving piles all day, not sure purpose for footings or part of the overpass work

I think I read somewhere (City of Kitchener site maybe?) that the Victoria/Frederick interchange is supposed to be closed until October. I suspect as part of the interchange reconfiguration, the exit lane for Victoria is going to have to be shifted further west in order to make room for the on-ramps from Hwy 7. There wasn't enough space to do that without the substantial work they're doing now.
Work on this project is really ramping up. The southbound collector Lane closure began early this week and it's already heavily under construction.
Originally put this in the general road construction thread.

Wondering if the current 3-way stop at Riverbend/Wellington/Shirley will have the traffic lights turned on soon. There were signs laying on the ground today in each direction showing "Traffic Light" and "NEW" just waiting to be propped up.
FYI: MTO RFP for construction of Grand River bridges for highway 7: https://www.raqs.merx.com/public/contrac...d=43748651
The Wellington / Bingemans extension is completely paved and has lane markings for 2 lanes now - I think traffic could shift to the new lanes by the end of the week, and then construction could start on the existing 2 lanes
(06-15-2017, 09:12 AM)boatracer Wrote: Originally put this in the general road construction thread.

Wondering if the current 3-way stop at Riverbend/Wellington/Shirley will have the traffic lights turned on soon. There were signs laying on the ground today in each direction showing "Traffic Light" and "NEW" just waiting to be propped up.

Does anyone know if that's coupled with using the new extension?
As of 8:00pm I can confirm that the lights are not yet activated nor is the extension open. It looks like it would be ready to open any day however.
I can report that the Shirley extension is open as of this evening. Still just two lanes, of course, but what an improvement!
I wish the left turn advance from Wellington to Riverbend was a little longer. That has been my regular morning route and it seems like it take 2-3 lights to get through this week. Maybe it is a perception thing that when it was a 3-way stop you are always crawling along. I understand the whole area is still a work in progress.
I'll be interested to see how it effects traffic 'downstream'.  

I didn't drive the route that often at 'rush hour' but there were times when coming west on Bingemans/Shirley that you'd have traffic backed up for 10-15 minutes.  Should move a lot faster now, but I'm wondering if the lineup at Bridgeport/Lancaster will now get longer.

Looks good though.  It'll be really interesting to see how this area changes over the next 3-4 years.

Edit: Already kind of interesting to see how its changed over the last year: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4676732,-...312!8i6656
(06-24-2017, 09:06 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote: I'll be interested to see how it effects traffic 'downstream'.  

I didn't drive the route that often at 'rush hour' but there were times when coming west on Bingemans/Shirley that you'd have traffic backed up for 10-15 minutes.  Should move a lot faster now, but I'm wondering if the lineup at Bridgeport/Lancaster will now get longer.

Looks good though.  It'll be really interesting to see how this area changes over the next 3-4 years.

Edit: Already kind of interesting to see how its changed over the last year: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4676732,-...312!8i6656

Victoria St traffic should be improved as people moved more efficiently between Guelph and Expressway

(06-25-2017, 10:21 AM)Smore Wrote:
(06-24-2017, 09:06 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote: I'll be interested to see how it effects traffic 'downstream'.  

Victoria St traffic should be improved as people moved more efficiently between Guelph and Expressway

Until they rip down the Victoria Rd bridge.... Wink

Coke
Some revised dates and details from the new Southern Highways Program 2017-2021:

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »