Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph
(01-24-2019, 11:08 AM)Spokes Wrote: As in an election promise to restart it?

An election promise to push up the start date of the actual highway. Ford didn't promise this highway, McGuinty did. Wynne had been slow on this promise. Now Ford doesn't have to keep the promise, just say that the project 'is on the horizon'. Election promise, 2022, elect us, and we'll have it complete before the end of our second term. I think we're talk 7 ridings affected in the CMA's of Kitchener and Guelph.

I could be wrong, but I kinda doubt it.

I think we agree in the thinking of the Ford Government, but disagree on the strategy. I think they'll try to resume work a year before the election so they can point to visible progress during the election.
(01-24-2019, 03:48 PM)SammyOES Wrote: I think they'll try to resume work a year before the election so they can point to visible progress during the election.

Agreed; just like the Victoria St bridge and Shirley Ave work. Meet the new boss…
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/978...nd-guelph/

"Province still mum on building new Highway 7 between Kitchener and Guelph"
Of course they're "mum" - we're not in a pre-election period!
Cynical view: Kitchener Centre and Guelph, the primary beneficiaries of this new highway, are both non-PC ridings. So why do anything that might be considered nice for them when they didn't vote for you?

Dumpster Fire for the win! (Until he's thoroughly trounced in 2022, but the damage has already been done)
(12-19-2019, 10:50 PM)timio Wrote: Cynical view: Kitchener Centre and Guelph, the primary beneficiaries of this new highway, are both non-PC ridings.  So why do anything that might be considered nice for them when they didn't vote for you?

Dumpster Fire for the win!  (Until he's thoroughly trounced in 2022, but the damage has already been done)

Don’t count on it. Even Mike Harris got a second term.

(12-19-2019, 10:50 PM)timio Wrote: Cynical view: Kitchener Centre and Guelph, the primary beneficiaries of this new highway, are both non-PC ridings.  So why do anything that might be considered nice for them when they didn't vote for you?

Dumpster Fire for the win!  (Until he's thoroughly trounced in 2022, but the damage has already been done)

Could be some truth there. Not like Mike Harris Jr can do much about this.
(12-20-2019, 08:47 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:

Don’t count on it. Even Mike Harris got a second term.

Mike Harris wasn't Doug Ford. Ford is a special kind of breed that I have never really seen before. I am still amazed that he won, but seeing his competition, I guess people felt they had no choice.
Well most of the highway would be in the Wellington-Halton Hills and Kitchener-Conestoga areas both of which are conservative. So maybe some hope... but probably most of the constituents in these areas are farmers against the highway.
(12-20-2019, 08:06 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 08:47 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Don’t count on it. Even Mike Harris got a second term.

Mike Harris wasn't Doug Ford. Ford is a special kind of breed that I have never really seen before. I am still amazed that he won, but seeing his competition, I guess people felt they had no choice.

The only reason they won in many seats is because they weren't Liberal. The liberals had become so hated by many that it didn't take a reasonable person to beat them. Anyone with a pulse had a better chance than most Liberal candidates.
Southern Ontario transportation plan is out (finally):

https://www.ontario.ca/page/connecting-s...#section-4

Includes "advancing design work to ... Construct a new highway 7 between Kitchener and Guelph"

My take: more studies, less action. So nothing different than expected with this government.
(01-17-2020, 01:22 PM)timio Wrote: Southern Ontario transportation plan is out (finally):

Includes "advancing design work to ... Construct a new highway 7 between Kitchener and Guelph"

My take: more studies, less action.  So nothing different than expected with this government.

It don't see it as 'more studies', I am reading that they're going to advance the design of highway 7 and work will start summer of (after election) of 2022 -- just like I said they would do, an election promise. I've been around long enough that this has been an election promise of Conservatives of old, Liberals of old, the NDP, the Conservative (Harris years), the Liberals (both premiers) and now the Conservative again. At least we have a little bit of trackion with some of the work being already done. But would place a $20 wager on it? No...I would not.

(01-17-2020, 01:22 PM)timio Wrote: Southern Ontario transportation plan is out (finally):

My take: more studies, less action.  So nothing different than expected with this government.

I wonder if the Minister would clarify this stat:

Region of Waterloo International Airport (CYKF)
London International Airport (CYXU)
Windsor International Airport (CYQG)

I count three... but I went to Ontario schools, so I may be off.

Coke
(01-17-2020, 04:33 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:

My take: more studies, less action.  So nothing different I wonder if the Minister would clarify this stat:

Region of Waterloo International Airport (CYKF)
London International Airport (CYXU)
Windsor International Airport (CYQG)

I count three... but I went to Ontario schools, so I may be off.

Coke

If you go by just the maps used, Waterloo Region is not part of SWO.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »