Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Want to support WRConnected? Don't want to make a donation? Shop at Amazon instead, every purchase helps. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph
I believe the objects are actually held by the government of Ontario in trust for the aboriginal people; the First Nations then have a process whereby they can request possession of a given artifact or artifacts.
Ahhh, got it! Thanks.
The Victoria Street bridge over the Expressway will be closed as of tomorrow (January 29th) for bridge removal and reconstruction. The replacement bridge will be longer and wider, accommodating lane reconfiguration below to support the ramps for the interchange with the new highway.

The re-opening date for Victoria Street is scheduled for November of this year.

At the other end of the new highway in Guelph last weekend I saw that some clearing of trees and brush had been done at the top end of the Hanlon, on the north side of Woodlawn where there used to be a garden center.
Who knew it was already the 29rd! Wink

Coke
Speaking of tree cutting, I saw a swath cut along adjacent to Bridge St.... same project or something else?
Whereabouts? I think I read somewhere that they were suppose to start clearing and fencing the whole length of the highway this Winter.
Last week the tree cutters were out (big wood chipper, crane truck etc.). There must have been some sort of criteria for which trees to take out as there are still a bunch left. I was hoping they were planning to do something with the bottleneck between Wellington collectors and Bridgeport but near the end of the week the crew was up past Northfield so maybe the whole length of the highway is correct? Seemed like a cold rainy time of year for that sort of work.
Someone mentioned a few years ago (maybe in this thread) that tree clearing has to happen at certain times of the year for environmental reasons. Not sure if that's part of it or not. But I agree, doesn't seem like a great time of year to be doing it.
I know in my line of work, winter is often easier due to the fact that the ground is frozen.
(01-29-2018, 01:48 PM)SammyOES Wrote: Someone mentioned a few years ago (maybe in this thread) that tree clearing has to happen at certain times of the year for environmental reasons.  Not sure if that's part of it or not.  But I agree, doesn't seem like a great time of year to be doing it.

That was likely me. As per the Federal Migratory Birds Convention Act, trees cannot be removed during the breeding season of migratory birds. As soon as migratory birds have returned and started to nest in the spring (usually April-May), their nests cannot be disturbed. If trees are to be removed during the migratory bird season, a nest search of each tree has to be done first before removal. Removing them now in January-February before migratory birds begin to nest is therefore much easier and often why this time of year is so common for large scale tree removals.
Makes sense. Thanks!
I can't even.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1314624

...this is the stupidest thing CTV has ever done. They didn't start or end the two clocks at the same point. Unreal.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
(01-29-2018, 08:02 PM)Canard Wrote: I can't even.

...this is the stupidest thing CTV has ever done.  They didn't start or end the two clocks at the same point.  Unreal.

Wow. I mean, I don’t expect high-quality scientific research from the local TV news, but that was a pretty stupid article. I must dispute you however — I’m pretty sure the current US president has appeared on CTV news.

As to the detours, we won’t really know what approach is better until the road actually closes. Those turns on/off Victoria should be really simple once those are no longer real intersections. In particular, Bruce at Victoria should just be a free-flow bend in the road, with the exception of an occasional pause for pedestrian traffic, of which I’m guessing there won’t be very much right there. Edna at Victoria will still be an actual intersection, but with very little traffic on the dead-end Victoria. They should be able to give almost all the green time to the left turn off Edna, with the right turn onto Edna being protected. To me the question is what the intersections with Frederick look like.

For the northern detour I suspect using Margaret rather than Lancaster is advisable for reaching Wellington. Actually my idea for dealing with the Lancaster crossing permanently is to close it except to pedestrians and bicycles. Cars can use Margaret or the new underpass near the expressway.
You just have to laugh at something as stupid as that.

And if you're actually going from Lancaster to Guelph like they mentioned, there's a pretty good chance that the Wellington/Bingeman's route is faster even without the bridge being closed. It skips a lot of traffic and traffic lights.
(01-29-2018, 08:02 PM)Canard Wrote: I can't even.

...this is the stupidest thing CTV has ever done.  They didn't start or end the two clocks at the same point.  Unreal.

HA! I said the exact same thing when I watch it on the news! This was about as piss poor of reporting that I've ever seen.

It's all relative too...if you're going to Guelph, obviously going to Wellington is better, if you're going to Burger King, you take Frederick.