Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph
I don't believe it's legal for anyone to sell Aboriginal archaeological relics.

(09-27-2017, 09:03 PM)jeffster Wrote: It would be interesting if they sold some of the artifacts they find. I am sure they could make good coin on it,

Very interesting the age of some of that stuff, like 2,000 years old, that's amazing.

Everything must be returned to the First Nations peoples.
(10-04-2017, 08:24 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(09-27-2017, 09:03 PM)jeffster Wrote: It would be interesting if they sold some of the artifacts they find. I am sure they could make good coin on it,

Very interesting the age of some of that stuff, like 2,000 years old, that's amazing.

Everything must be returned to the First Nations peoples.

Are you sure?  In this case, who could they be "returned" to?
(10-04-2017, 09:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 08:24 PM)MacBerry Wrote: Everything must be returned to the First Nations peoples.

Are you sure?  In this case, who could they be "returned" to?

Indeed, if it’s really 2000 years old it would be awfully hard to establish any sort of connection at all between any specific modern person and any specific artifact. It’s easy to believe that there was no history on this continent before Europeans arrived but I’m pretty sure the groups would have changed hugely over such a long period of time.
(10-04-2017, 09:30 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 09:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Are you sure?  In this case, who could they be "returned" to?

Indeed, if it’s really 2000 years old it would be awfully hard to establish any sort of connection at all between any specific modern person and any specific artifact. It’s easy to believe that there was no history on this continent before Europeans arrived but I’m pretty sure the groups would have changed hugely over such a long period of time.

2000 years ago it would have likely been the Saugeen Complex (part of the Hopewell culture).  This culture may or may not be related to the modern-day Odawa peoples.  No one can really tell for sure, though.
No matter which of the First Peoples left the artifacts in question, the law has been rightly set that anything found today is to be given to the aboriginal people in trust; they will determine for themselves the best location and oucome for the objects. To do anything else reverts us to the paternal colonial overbearance of the past.
(10-06-2017, 01:44 PM)KevinL Wrote: No matter which of the First Peoples left the artifacts in question, the law has been rightly set that anything found today is to be given to the aboriginal people in trust; they will determine for themselves the best location and oucome for the objects. To do anything else reverts us to the paternal colonial overbearance of the past.

I was just trying to understand the mechanism - "the aboriginal people" is not a legal entity.  To turn items over to an aboriginal nation with no connection to the items seems odd to me as well.  Where can the legal requirement be found?

I believe the objects are actually held by the government of Ontario in trust for the aboriginal people; the First Nations then have a process whereby they can request possession of a given artifact or artifacts.
Ahhh, got it! Thanks.
The Victoria Street bridge over the Expressway will be closed as of tomorrow (January 29th) for bridge removal and reconstruction. The replacement bridge will be longer and wider, accommodating lane reconfiguration below to support the ramps for the interchange with the new highway.

The re-opening date for Victoria Street is scheduled for November of this year.

At the other end of the new highway in Guelph last weekend I saw that some clearing of trees and brush had been done at the top end of the Hanlon, on the north side of Woodlawn where there used to be a garden center.
Who knew it was already the 29rd! Wink

Coke
Speaking of tree cutting, I saw a swath cut along adjacent to Bridge St.... same project or something else?
Whereabouts? I think I read somewhere that they were suppose to start clearing and fencing the whole length of the highway this Winter.

Last week the tree cutters were out (big wood chipper, crane truck etc.). There must have been some sort of criteria for which trees to take out as there are still a bunch left. I was hoping they were planning to do something with the bottleneck between Wellington collectors and Bridgeport but near the end of the week the crew was up past Northfield so maybe the whole length of the highway is correct? Seemed like a cold rainy time of year for that sort of work.
Someone mentioned a few years ago (maybe in this thread) that tree clearing has to happen at certain times of the year for environmental reasons. Not sure if that's part of it or not. But I agree, doesn't seem like a great time of year to be doing it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »