Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Themuseum

From today's Record:

Themuseum targets young professionals with new entertainment series

Waterloo Region Record

By Robert Reid 

Themuseum wants to get the jump on light rail transit by targeting university students and young professionals with an evening entertainment program.

http://www.therecorAd.com/whatson-story/4941742-themuseum-targets-young-professionals-with-new-entertainment-series/
Speaking of movies Downtown, themuseum has a free showing of "Spartacus" (1960) tomorrow, Wednesday, at 1800hrs.
Next up in themuseum's Kubrick Film Series is "Dr Strangelove or: How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb" (1964)

Wednesday, 02 December, 6:00pm.
Kubrick Film Series - Wednesday, December 17th at 6pm

"2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968)
For those feeling nostalgic (or who wouldn't be traumatized to see how their parents used to get down!), here's a recommendation for Saturday, January 10th.

Museum After Dark presents:

TIGHT & BRIGHT: 80's Retro Laser Dance Party, a part of the Christie Entertainment Series.
Dress in your 80's best while you enjoy a night filled with drinks, DJ's, sweet lasers, 80's tunes, live music and glow gear. Ages 19+ will receive wristbands. Cash bar. Tickets are $15 plus HST | Doors open at 9:00 PM
THEMUSEUM's Stanley Kubrick Film Series (Wednesdays at 1800hrs) continues with:

January 14th - Barry Lyndon (1975)

January 21st - The Shining (1980)

January 28th - Full Metal Jacket (1987)

The Globe and Mail has a good piece on THEMUSEUM's "Getting Naked" exhibition.  On until the end of May.

Baring it all: Canada Council Art Bank’s collection of nudes on display

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/art-...e23453958/
THEMUSUEM CEO said on CBC Radio today that attendance for this FY will be about 85,000, which is a 30% increase over last year. He also said that 10 responses had been received to their RFP for the former Imbibe space, 8 of which are food and beverage, one "unique", and one a greengrocer (!) A new operation for the former Imbibe space should be in place by September.
A greengrocer would be very unique to the area, but I wonder if there's enough space.

Exciting times none the less.
(06-29-2015, 10:49 PM)panamaniac Wrote: THEMUSUEM CEO said on CBC Radio today that attendance for this FY will be about 85,000, which is a 30% increase over last year.  He also said that 10 responses had been received to their RFP for the former Imbibe space, 8 of which are food and beverage, one "unique", and one a greengrocer (!)  A new operation for the former Imbibe space should be in place by September.

Great to hear that the level of interest is so high.  I really hope that the Museum comes out on top when this is done.  I also hope that the space reanimates King Street a little - King/Queen is hurting right now!
I think a restaurant would be a better fit in that space, but it's interesting to think that somebody is apparently willing to consider a greengrocer at what will apparently be market rental rates in the Downtown.
Just to note that the "Terry Fox:  Running to the Heart of Canada" exhibit that opened today is well worth a visit.  I saw it last fall at the Canadian History Museum in Gatineau and found it interesting and quite moving.  Themuseum is a very appropriate location for this - Terry Fox ran right past the building!  I'm not sure how long the exhibit runs.

Good piece in the Record on the Terry Fox exhibition. It runs until June 16th.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6459...themuseum/
Themuseum plans to open a new "maker space/digital lal" in its lower level this fall, aimed at young people aged 6 - 17 years.  Fundraising is ongoing.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6696...ung-minds/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »