Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Sports and Recreation News
Surely the most obvious place for a soccer stadium would be on the site of the old Centennial Stadium.

(05-18-2017, 08:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Surely the most obvious place for a soccer stadium would be on the site of the old Centennial Stadium.

Sounds good to me!
Yeah. My understanding is that Centennial has been United's dream for a LONG LONG Time. At least 5 years. But negotiations seem to have stalled. They were supposed to renovate there but I haven't heard anything since. I know Jack Couch Park is also on the chopping block.
Is a replacement planned for Jack Couch Park? Where would the Panthers play?

Actually thinking of going to a Panthers game this Sunday.
(05-18-2017, 10:58 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: Is a replacement planned for Jack Couch Park? Where would the Panthers play?

Actually thinking of going to a Panthers game this Sunday.

They have talked about it. 

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/671...m-project/

They were hoping the Canada Games bid could make it happen.
/\ Thank you for the info.

Sure would be better if a new stadium was a little more centrally located than down at Doon. Granted I am being a little self-interested here, but I think the point still stands.
The southern half of McLennan Park will be closed from June to November - crucially, no splash pad this summer. Full details here.

(05-18-2017, 11:26 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: /\ Thank you for the info.

Sure would be better if a new stadium was a little more centrally located than down at Doon. Granted I am being a little self-interested here, but I think the point still stands.

If it's central enough for the Cambridge sportsplex, it's central enough for a stadium.
/\ It's a Kitchener team. Not sure what that has to do with the Cambridge Sportsplex.

If the Waterloo Tigers ever decide to build a new park, should it also be somewhere central to Cambridge as well?
I just find it amusing that Conestoga isn't central enough for a Kitchener team, but putting Cambridge's sportsplex in a location that's remote compared to the rest of the city is seen as a good idea.
I think there are a lot of people outside of Cambridge (myself included) who think it is not a good location for the Cambridge Sportsplex.
And thus my point about it also being a bad location for the Panthers still stands. Not sure why I have to qualify my opinion.
If 80% of the projected ticket buyers live in Doon*, then why would it need to be central? [*Not an actual fact]

Toronto FC/Maple Leafs/Blue Jays/Raptors/Marlies don't play in a central Toronto location.

Coke
The Skydome and Exhibition Place aren't central Toronto locations? Doon has poor transit, and is low-density. That's what's meant by "not central," isn't it?

A hypothetical soccer stadium built on Pine Street to be used by both KCI and our future Premier League team would be very central, no matter the definition of the word. That's a beautiful dream.

(05-23-2017, 10:43 AM)MidTowner Wrote: The Skydome and Exhibition Place aren't central Toronto locations? Doon has poor transit, and is low-density. That's what's meant by "not central," isn't it?

A hypothetical soccer stadium built on Pine Street to be used by both KCI and our future Premier League team would be very central, no matter the definition of the word. That's a beautiful dream.

I'm using the term central incorrectly then... (As a central Toronto location would be just south of the 401 in North York).

However, that being said, fans need not be Kitchener residents.  It would allow Cambridge/Brantford/Woodstock fans easy highway access.  Smile

[I don't disagree with the comments above, I am playing devil's advocate]

Coke
By "central" I of course meant accessible to as many people as possible. As MidTowner said, transit to Doon is awful,
Even by your definition, Coke, Doon is not central within Kitchener itself, nor is it particularly central with relation to Waterloo or Cambridge. And as you suggested, 80% of the team's support would not come from Doon.

Now it any of you want to go on about the definition of central Smile , or how Doon is equidistant to all points within the region and how there is no better place in the region to host a soccer field or (as I was talking about) a new Kitchener Panthers stadium, then have it. I simply disagree with you.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »