Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Sports and Recreation News
Between this and RIM Park, that's a lot of indoor field space.

I hope it's actually readily available to the community and community teams
I wish it was more, depending on the time of year it can be very difficult to rent turf time at RIM Park or Bechtel Park.
The City of Waterloo is providing funding to both universities for enhancing sports facilities. https://www.therecord.com/news-story/965...acilities/

In UW's case that's a new ice pad at Columbia Icefield. 

At Laurier, it's University Stadium, which will get a new turf, a winter bubble, and a new grandstand. I'm particularly excited at that news; it would be a great incentive for a professional tenant - like a Canadian Premier League soccer team...
Sledding at Mount Trashmore is getting a buzzkill - apparently to cut off any liability issues in advance, the city is fencing off the top half of the hill.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/974...-sledders/
A bit strange after so many years ....
That's so dumb. People have been sledding there for as long as I can remember.

A simple use at your own risk sign should take care of that (said by someone who's hardly a lawyer)

When I was a kid, we used to go over to a big hill in the middle of Rockway Golf Course for tobogganing. I think it has been off-limits for many years, for some reason. At the time, I thought it was an enormous run, but I suspect if I went back now, I'd be surprised at how modest it really is.
Me too!
Looks like Ottawa is getting a CPL expansion

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/cpl-awar...20-season/

Unfortunately there does seem to be much of a push to bring a team to the region. Would love another summer team to support. (Go Panthers).
(01-30-2020, 11:57 AM)westwardloo Wrote: Looks like Ottawa is getting a CPL expansion

Unfortunately there does seem to be much of a push to bring a team to the region. Would love another summer team to support. (Go Panthers).

Grand River Union was working on a CPL team. I was really hoping they build up enough interest and find some financing to bring a team to K-W.

Until that time Go Panthers!
(01-30-2020, 12:21 PM)Chris Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 11:57 AM)westwardloo Wrote: Looks like Ottawa is getting a CPL expansion

Grand River Union was working on a CPL team. I was really hoping they build up enough interest and find some financing to bring a team to K-W.

Yeah I remember filling out a survey last summer regarding a potential CPL team. I think the biggest barrier is a wealthy local with the interest in investing in a local sports team. I do think that they could work out a deal to temporarily play out of the Golden Hawks stadium until they figure out a permanent home. Personally I think that a team in this community could garner significant support. We are kind of starved in lack of national sports scene in the region.
(01-30-2020, 12:29 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 12:21 PM)Chris Wrote: Grand River Union was working on a CPL team. I was really hoping they build up enough interest and find some financing to bring a team to K-W.

Yeah I remember filling out a survey last summer regarding a potential CPL team. I think the biggest barrier is a wealthy local with the interest in investing in a local sports team.

Jim Balsillie?

(01-30-2020, 03:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 12:29 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Yeah I remember filling out a survey last summer regarding a potential CPL team. I think the biggest barrier is a wealthy local with the interest in investing in a local sports team.

Jim Balsillie?

He hasn't been "local" for quite some time, or has he?
I follow CPL scuttlebutt quite closely, they seem optimistic on KW (along with Quebec City, Saskatoon and Mississauga). But that is just talk by folks online.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »