Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
@271 west
Has anyone tried @271 west in Downtown Kitchener in recent months?  I ate there a few times when they were recently opened but found the food consistently disappointing and so have not been back.  I see, however, that they have a huge number of very favourable tripadvisor reviews such that they are one of the favourites in town.   Have they improved that much or should I learn to be sceptical of tripadvisor reviews?

I was there this summer (I think July) and found the food to be excellent. It was my first time there so I don't have any prior experience to compare it to, but right now I'd call it one of best places I've eaten in Kitchener. Friends have been there since and given it similarly high reviews. I do recommend listening to what's recommended, I chatted with my waiter (who might also be the owner?) about the things I was deciding between and he had some strong opinions on what their signature dishes were. Had I not followed his guidance it's possible my opinion would be different.
Good to know.
Agreed, when i've been there my group followed the advice of the waiter/owner and were not disappointed.
(10-18-2014, 04:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Has anyone tried @271 west in Downtown Kitchener in recent months?  I ate there a few times when they were recently opened but found the food consistently disappointing and so have not been back.  I see, however, that they have a huge number of very favourable tripadvisor reviews such that they are one of the favourites in town.   Have they improved that much or should I learn to be sceptical of tripadvisor reviews?

I've been wondering about this as well, as we had a similar experience when it first opened. We found the food and plating only 'ok' - what threw me off were the teens behind the bar chatting away and the owner(?) speaking to them in a language I didn't understand. I think supporting family-run restaurants are great (as I grew up in one myself) but I guess it didn't match my expectations to the type of restaurant I thought it was. But maybe it deserves another try?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »