Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Retail News
(10-02-2018, 04:59 AM)plam Wrote: Huh? Thrift stores in malls?!?! That doesn't quite seem like the intended audience.

Well, Frederick Street Mall isn't your typical mall. Just sayin'.

Some more progress on the new LCBO store. According to the staff at the current location, the opening of the new store is planned for February.

Big progress.
Upper floors are commercial? Or LCBO?
Upper floor will be office.

Sad news, but as someone who used to manage a bike shop, its a tough business.
I never went but I always thought it was a creative idea, too bad that it didn't work out.
(10-11-2018, 05:53 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I never went but I always thought it was a creative idea, too bad that it didn't work out.

I went there numerous time.  Always busy when I was there.  I loved the place..  It will be sadly missed.

(10-11-2018, 09:37 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 05:53 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I never went but I always thought it was a creative idea, too bad that it didn't work out.

I went there numerous time.  Always busy when I was there.  I loved the place..  It will be sadly missed.

I thought their food was excellent, although the food prep/service model was not everyone's cup of tea, at least not if you were in a hurry.  The bicycle aspect of the business seemed superfluous to me.
(10-11-2018, 10:06 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 09:37 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I went there numerous time.  Always busy when I was there.  I loved the place..  It will be sadly missed.

I thought their food was excellent, although the food prep/service model was not everyone's cup of tea, at least not if you were in a hurry.  The bicycle aspect of the business seemed superfluous to me.
Road cyclists love coffee and cafes and if there's a good one, will go back again and again and again. The problem is that you don't normally end up in Belmont Village when going out on road rides.

Popular spots:

Balzacs (Stratford), Monigram (Galt), Anna Mae's (Millbank), Bonnie Lou's (Floradale), Belwood Country Market (Belwood), Flying Monkey (Campbellville), Brown Dog (or whatever they call themselves now) (St. George) among others.
(10-10-2018, 10:31 PM)Spokes Wrote:

Sad news, but as someone who used to manage a bike shop, its a tough business.

A story in today's Record with more information.

"It's unfortunate," owner Graham Roe said on Wednesday. "The business hasn't made itself sustainable yet and it's been almost three years. It's been a drain on family. Time to put my dreams on hold. Or park them."

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/895...s-closing/

"So the bike shop was always playing second fiddle and never got the attention to make it work," Roe said. "When the café was going really well, it was really hard to take away floor space for bikes when the café is paying the rent."
Anyone know what's going in on Hespeler road next to Starbucks? Used to be an RBC there I believe, before it was torn down.

Whatever store it's for, the building has a very nice street presence, fronting directly on the corner of Hespeler and dundas (is that dundas?). Seems to take up the entirety of the street frontage too, right to the property line.

Honestly, this is what Hespeler road should be aiming for. Nice to see something like this finally go in, whatever store it might be for.
(10-14-2018, 08:51 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Anyone know what's going in on Hespeler road next to Starbucks? Used to be an RBC there I believe, before it was torn down.

Whatever store it's for, the building has a very nice street presence, fronting directly on the corner of Hespeler and dundas (is that dundas?). Seems to take up the entirety of the street frontage too, right to the property line.

Honestly, this is what Hespeler road should be aiming for. Nice to see something like this finally go in, whatever store it might be for.

It's Hespeler (Americans cannot pronounce that funny enough lol!) Road and I believe Sheldon Drive. I work near there and totally agree, looks much better and definitely should be what they need to do on that stretch of road.  What a mess of a road. There is another white dentist building that looks like the same thing, being built right to the street corner of Hespeler and Eagle/Pinebush, although the colour choice of white, for me doesn't look quite right (I get it, it's a building for a dentist office), but what is absolutely horrible is the huge, God awful ugly white molar sign they have in the same corner!!! Cheesy!!!! Ugh!! Can't believe the city of Cambridge allowed that!

Note: there is a nice stretch going towards downtown (Galt area) that has nice plants, grasses, etc... all along the center median which I think looks quite nice.  If they could do more of that in other stretches, it would be an improvement (more trees too).

The Petro Canada at Victoria and Edna — which closed down, and had fencing with "permanently closed" signage up — has just finished having all of it underground infrastructure (ie gas tanks) removed. The property is now completely empty.

Oddly enough, the "Permanently Closed" signage has now been swapped out for "Temporarily Closed — renovating and Reopening in 2019" signage.

Thats, uh, quite the renovation. Wonder why the change of heart?
(10-16-2018, 03:45 PM)GtwoK Wrote: The Petro Canada at Victoria and Edna — which closed down, and had fencing with "permanently closed" signage up — has just finished having all of it underground infrastructure (ie gas tanks) removed. The property is now completely empty.

Oddly enough, the "Permanently Closed" signage has now been swapped out for "Temporarily Closed — renovating and Reopening in 2019" signage.

Thats, uh, quite the renovation. Wonder why the change of heart?

Maybe the land was sold and one of the conditions was soil remediation?  (pure speculation on my part).  I wouldn't bother opening anything at that spot until the Victoria street bridge construction is done either.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »