Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Retail News
Close to my house as well!

I'll have to check it out.

Heel Boy was evicted from their Uptown site along King street.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
More grocery stores in the region are getting beer and cider licences:

FreshCo 1 Hespeler Rd. Cambridge
Sobeys 1187 Fischer-Hallman Rd. Kitchener
Sobeys 94 Bridgeport Rd. Waterloo
Walmart Supercentre 1400 Ottawa St. S. Unit E Kitchener
Walmart Supercentre 22 Pinebush Rd. Cambridge
Zehrs 450 Erb St. W. Waterloo

Full provincial list here: http://www.momandhops.ca/locations-76-ne...announced/
The Sobeys and Walmart Supercentre in Kitchener are quite close to one another (They are both within a 10 minute walk of my house). 3/4 of the Kitchener Grocery Stores that have Beer are on or near Fischer Hallman.
Very true - a rider on iXpress 201 can do a tour of them!
Sobeys Bridgeport, right across from the Beer Store. Not too useful, but I guess a bit of added convenience.

Pino's in the Sault has got a license, but I was told that Central wasn't planned to. Not sure why; maybe Pino's is quite a bit larger.
Three of the four Kitchener and Waterloo locations are bringing beer sales to new neighbourhoods.    
Sunrise Centre Walmart and Williamsburg Sobeys will be the first places with beer for south west Kitchener.  There are no Beer Stores or LCBOs west of Strasburg and south of the highway.
Beechwood Zhers is also filling in an alcohol desert.

The Bridgeport Sobeys is across the street from a Beer Store, so that doesn't really change much. I guess it's 100m closer to my home! But then again, Lion Brewery is already closer to me still.

(05-09-2017, 02:01 PM)Markster Wrote: The Bridgeport Sobeys is across the street from a Beer Store, so that doesn't really change much.

One of the first licenced grocers was the Highland Superstore, which shares a parking lot with a Beer Store. It was still a success (mainly in regards to craft beers, I believe).
(05-09-2017, 01:55 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Sobeys Bridgeport, right across from the Beer Store. Not too useful, but I guess a bit of added convenience.

I've bought beer at Sobeys and at the Beer Store, and I much prefer the experience at Sobeys. Plus I can get beer while I get my groceries.

It's also not much different than the Highland Hills Superstore selling beer when there is a Beer Store across the parking lot.
(05-09-2017, 02:01 PM)Markster Wrote: Beechwood Zehrs is also filling in an alcohol desert.

Not that much of a desert. There is a Beer Store at Erb and Erbsville, and an LCBO at Columbia and Fischer-Hallman. Still, more choice is good.
(05-09-2017, 02:12 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 02:01 PM)Markster Wrote: The Bridgeport Sobeys is across the street from a Beer Store, so that doesn't really change much.

One of the first licenced grocers was the Highland Superstore, which shares a parking lot with a Beer Store. It was still a success (mainly in regards to craft beers, I believe).

I might also add that the Superstore has greatly expanded their beer assortment. What was once a couple of endcaps is nearly an entire aisle! I was pleasantly surprised by the change last time I was in.
(05-09-2017, 02:29 PM)timc Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 02:01 PM)Markster Wrote: Beechwood Zehrs is also filling in an alcohol desert.

Not that much of a desert. There is a Beer Store at Erb and Erbsville, and an LCBO at Columbia and Fischer-Hallman. Still, more choice is good.

I had a lot of friends who lived down near there back when I was in University, and believe me, this would have made a world of difference to them. It puts beer within walking distance for more people.
Not sure if this has already been reported but the former Sobeys at Northfield and Weber St is now at Fit4less.

Petromart at Spadina and Highland has been rebranded Esso.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(05-18-2017, 05:43 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Petromart at Spadina and Highland has been rebranded Esso.

And there goes the (usually) cheapest gas in KW.  Next best price is typically the Pioneer on 7 towards Guelph.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »