Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
156 Columbia St
Dragon's Den banker Michael Wekerle buys BlackBerry real estate

Quote:Waterloo residents should get used to seeing a lot of Michael Wekerle around town.

The flashy investment banker and new dragon on CBC's Dragon's Den, is working on a deal to buy up six former BlackBerry buildings and turn the area around Columbia and Phillip Streets into a tech incubator. 

Quote:Now, Wekerle wants to build a tech incubator that he says will help young entrepreneurs hone their ideas while also offering something for the region.

"I purchased BlackBerry 5, which is 156 [Columbia St.], and I'm working under contract right now on Blackberry 6, 7, the parking lots and BlackBerry 10," said Wekerle in an interview with Craig Norris on The Morning Edition Wednesday. He's also looking to buy two other BlackBerry buildings, 440 and 460 Philip St.

Quote:The region will get a taste of what Wekerle has in store on Sunday, when he opens BlackBerry 5 for Wektoberfest, an afternoon celebration featuring Canadian rockers 54-40 and free food. All proceeds will go to the YWCA of Kitchener-Waterloo.

the most exciting part for me is that he might buy other properties and seems to be considering the need for residential too
The tent for Wektoberfest is going up

[Image: B0FeuFUIQAAFldP.jpg:large]
Who's going this weekend?
I've heard from friends that this was one of the best organized events they ever attended. Kudos to the organizers.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »