Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Other Forum Issues
(07-26-2023, 08:12 AM)Spokes Wrote: Hi Everyone,
I know in the past one big issue we've had has been when clicking the "report" button nothing seems to happen.  This seems to be fixed now.  (It only took 10 years.  Darn.  Sorry hah)

Lol...I mean...it doesn't do much on X either...(good god twitter's rebranding is a bad idea).

This isn't really an issue but I'm wondering...how accurate is the "Users browsing this forum" count? It seems to accurately list registered users but unregistered users always seem to be weirdly high. Like apparently as I'm writing this there are 109 unregistered guests browsing the Transportation forum and 93 in the Urban Areas forum which seems unusual. Is the count just not accurate or are there really over 100 people interested in Waterloo Region transportation at 13:00 on a Friday? Haha.
I just always assumed they were bots or something?
It could be bots.

But it's also not updated in real time. I think it's a 15 minute window or so. So maybe those 109 were over the last 15 minutes.
Hm thanks! I had assumed some were web crawlers or yeah just bots though I'm not sure what kind of bots they would be. They're unregistered so who knows. Anyway doesn't matter, I just got curious. I host a couple 4chan and 4-ch style imageboards and textboards (amongst other websites) so I always find it interesting to see what sort of random traffic visits. The 109 vists at once seems unusually high for this forum so I was wondering what may have caused that spike. Perhaps the website was just linked somewhere?

At least it's not spam bots! Spam doesn't seem to happen here much. At least not directly. It does happen indirectly though. For example apparently today is flute9german's 36th birthday. Except it's most certainly not a real person because if you click the profile, they have no posts or anything, just a link to their homepage that goes to a subreddit for some crypto shitcoin haha.
(09-22-2023, 01:48 PM)ac3r Wrote: At least it's not spam bots! Spam doesn't seem to happen here much. At least not directly. It does happen indirectly though. For example apparently today is flute9german's 36th birthday. Except it's most certainly not a real person because if you click the profile, they have no posts or anything, just a link to their homepage that goes to a subreddit for some crypto shitcoin haha.

There are multiple layers of defence against spam posts. Thankfully it's pretty effective these days and not many get through.
(09-22-2023, 10:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-22-2023, 01:48 PM)ac3r Wrote: At least it's not spam bots! Spam doesn't seem to happen here much. At least not directly. It does happen indirectly though. For example apparently today is flute9german's 36th birthday. Except it's most certainly not a real person because if you click the profile, they have no posts or anything, just a link to their homepage that goes to a subreddit for some crypto shitcoin haha.

There are multiple layers of defence against spam posts. Thankfully it's pretty effective these days and not many get through.

Exactly

It wasn't always this good. Like all sites we've had our challenges over the years

2 issues with search, if anyone else experiences it:

1. Searching for a phrase, not a post title, doesn't automatically go to the page in the thread where my search term is
2. There is no link in Mobile Safari to find the overall forum search, you have to go to a specific forum first, and then your search is just limited to that forum. (this might be a FocusResponsive theme issue)
local cambridge weirdo
Yes, quite aware of those limitations. If you want to search for a specific post in a thread, make sure to select to search for a post, then you will get links that will take you to the specific post.

I have no good solutions for getting to the search page on a mobile device, though. I think you are right about it being a theme issue.
When using the "What's new" link, is there any way to have thread items link to go to the first newest item (just after the last read one), instead of just a list of page numbers?

Sometimes it's just the last page, but on popular threads it can be the second last or even third last page if you haven't checked in a few days, but there's no way to know and if you just go to the last one, the "Unread" marker disappears on previous pages.
(02-17-2024, 03:23 PM)Bytor Wrote: When using the "What's new" link, is there any way to have thread items link to go to the first newest item (just after the last read one), instead of just a list of page numbers?

Sometimes it's just the last page, but on popular threads it can be the second last or even third last page if you haven't checked in a few days, but there's no way to know and if you just go to the last one, the "Unread" marker disappears on previous pages.

If I'm understanding what you want correctly: Click the green arrow in front of the thread title. That goes directly to the most recent unread post.
(02-17-2024, 04:02 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 03:23 PM)Bytor Wrote: When using the "What's new" link, is there any way to have thread items link to go to the first newest item (just after the last read one), instead of just a list of page numbers?

If I'm understanding what you want correctly: Click the green arrow in front of the thread title. That goes directly to the most recent unread post.

Well, I just learned something I didn't know about!
(02-17-2024, 04:02 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:

Yes, that does it. Thanks.

What a horrible UI control. :-( Can I slap the developer with a wet fish if I ever meet them?

Yup the green arrow is a very helpful tool
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »