Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
490 Huron Rd | 12, 12, 20, 24 fl | Proposed
A developer is proposing a mixed-use project at 490 Huron Road. The architectural work is by Martin Simmons Sweers Architects.

Edit: This project has been redesigned as of early 2024. See the following post.

[Image: QvILRK7.png]

Comprised of 3 buildings - two at 13 floors and one at 17 floors - the project proposes 547 residential units. 5 low rise buildings would contain 2407 square meters of commercial space fronting both Huron and Strasburg. 603 parking spaces are proposed as well as 300 bicycle parking spaces. Parking would be a mixture of underground, surface level but contained within the towers as well as surface level spaces surrounding the buildings. Outdoor amenities for building residents are proposed between the 13 and 17 floor towers.

[Image: JF0Tso1.png]

[Image: cCWozaf.png]

Think about the traffic!!! Huron is really overbuilt and barely has any traffic. This will be a good development for the long vacant lot. Hopefully this would help prompt weekend service on the 33.
The shadows 1 hour before sundown though, NIMBY's represent! And traffic! CAN'T DO IT!
Won't somebody please think of the shadows cast on Huron Road?
This will be a fun one when giving directions...

"Where to?"
"Lexington Park".
"You mean Lexington out near Bechtel Park in Waterloo?"
"No, Lexington Park in Kitchener..."
(09-14-2022, 09:47 PM)nms Wrote: This will be a fun one when giving directions...

"Where to?"
"Lexington Park".

Lexington Park is the name of the developer, I don't believe it will be the name of the project
(09-19-2022, 03:18 PM)sluismcfc Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 09:47 PM)nms Wrote: This will be a fun one when giving directions...

"Where to?"
"Lexington Park".

Lexington Park is the name of the developer, I don't believe it will be the name of the project

Hope you're right.

(09-19-2022, 03:18 PM)sluismcfc Wrote: Lexington Park is the name of the developer, I don't believe it will be the name of the project

I had to double check and yeah you're right. Where the heck did I get the name Lexington Park then? Haha...
(09-19-2022, 06:19 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 03:18 PM)sluismcfc Wrote: Lexington Park is the name of the developer, I don't believe it will be the name of the project

Hope you're right.

They are: https://www.lexingtonpark.com
This project was redesigned in October and it looks significantly different in comparison to the original plan. The project will now contain 4 buildings ranging in heights from 12 floors to 24 floors (12, 12, 20, 24). The unit count increases to 760 from 547. 775 vehicle parking spaces will be provided, there is a mixture of surface, underground and structured parking in the development. There will also be 386 bicycle spaces. Compared to the original plans there is no longer any commercial space on site, there is an area marked as future commercial development at the Huron/Strasburg corner however. Fronting Huron there will be a two floor common amenity building at 8784sqft, each building will also have at least 1974sqft of amenity space. Overall the site will have 17333sqft of amenity space.

OPA/ZBA Drawings:490 Huron Drawings
Urban Design Brief: 490 Huron Urban Design Brief

The revised concept was approved at the planning and strategic initiatives meeting last night with little opposition. The only two councillors who had issues with the development were Chapman as usual as well as Councillor Michaud who's becoming more and more like Chapman at every meeting. Michaud's main issue was the lack of 3brdm units however planning staff and other members of council pointed out that the entire neighbourhood is primarily SFH and townhomes which provide those 3+ brdm units so in this area there is actually a lack of 1 and 2 bdrm units.

If this gets final approval at the next council meeting the developer is planning on getting SPA later this year and building permits for the first phase next year.
I think Chapman would oppose the construction of the greatest children's hospital ever conceived from being built here. That woman has brain eating worms or something. She just seems to vote in spite of every issue brought up in the democratic process just to be an asshole. She evidently has no beliefs, no philosophy, no ideology, no goal, no purpose. Her recently running as a social democrat was the absolute peak of her absurdity.

Glad to hear this has made some progress. I wish more of the parking was underground but I know it's cheaper to not do that so whatever, we need housing more than anything.
(02-27-2024, 08:35 PM)ac3r Wrote: I think Chapman would oppose the construction of the greatest children's hospital ever conceived from being built here. That woman has brain eating worms or something. She just seems to vote in spite of every issue brought up in the democratic process just to be an asshole. She evidently has no beliefs, no philosophy, no ideology, no goal, no purpose. Her recently running as a social democrat was the absolute peak of her absurdity.

Glad to hear this has made some progress. I wish more of the parking was underground but I know it's cheaper to not do that so whatever, we need housing more than anything.

She certainly said all the right things about housing when running for the NDP, but her actions on council show differently.

Council approved this project on March 18.
Here's hoping even 50% of those rendered trees actually get planted. That section of Huron is wide open field and could desperately use some natural cover and wind breaks.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »